What's on the smoker today?

20180617_085816.jpg

Did a brisket I've had in the freezer for 2 years today. Took 9 hours, but was one of my best. This is the before. The after didnt happen because when I let it test the wife cut it up for dinner.

Fishing4sanity- How long and what temp you doing tri-tip at? I live in the town that made the tri-tip cut popular and cook it quite often. Although we cook it over an oak BBQ fire.

I've done two tri-tips. IIRC it was around 3hrs at about 300º. Temp got away from me a bit. Remote meat thermometer, so I just cook to the desired temp.

Moose Brisket

The meat has zero fat.

Night before, put in brine of a little salt & 2 bullion cubes.
Next morning injected with some of that brine.
Spinkled salt, pepper, garlic, paparika.
Covered with bacon for fat drippings. Toothpicks to keep bacon from curling.

IMG_1829.jpg

Masterbuilt smoker, smoked with apple wood 4 hours at 250.
Wrapped in heavy duty foil, with 1/4 cup brine juice. Wrapped tight.
Another 5 hours at 250. Knife was sliding in like soft butter.

IMG_1831.jpg

Came out very moist. Dang tasty!

deer ribs and chicken legs

I usually grind up or crock pot deer ribs but the meateater recipe had me wanting to try this. I pressure cooked them for 20 min at 10psi. then smoked them for about an hour adding a cider vinegar mop to them. They turned out very good and tender.
DSC04689.jpg
DSC04692.jpg
DSC04694.jpg
DSC04695.jpg

They look great. Game ribs are very overlooked imo.
Pork ribs for me today, we're all out of feral hog ribs. Next spring our hog hunt will have to take place again.

DSCN1595 (960x702).jpg

I did a batch of brisket burnt ends this weekend, but the show stealer was the the "snack" I made. I cut a chunk of bologna into 1.5-2" thick slices. Coated all sides with yellow mustard and sprinkled a generic rub on it. Smoked it at 250º for 1.5hrs with hickory. Cut into chunk. Very popular appetizer with the family! Take your pick of a favorite sauce to dip it in.

Ribs and brisket sounds great for breakfast now haha! I like the bacon idea and injecting/brine with the moose brisket - looks amazing!

I did a batch of brisket burnt ends this weekend, but the show stealer was the the "snack" I made. I cut a chunk of bologna into 1.5-2" thick slices. Coated all sides with yellow mustard and sprinkled a generic rub on it. Smoked it at 250º for 1.5hrs with hickory. Cut into chunk. Very popular appetizer with the family! Take your pick of a favorite sauce to dip it in.

Gonna hafta try the jazzed up bologna Pointer....sounds delicious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back