What's on the smoker today?

wytex

The last of my cow bison ribs and some pork ribs. Started with some pecan wood sea salt and will finish it up tomorrow.
Pecan and post oak wood mix for the ribs. Chupacabra 2 Gringos rub on the bison and Head Country Sweet and Spicy on the pork.
Anyone else fire up the smoker today?

DSCN1192 (2) (1024x768).jpgDSCN1200.jpg

Wytex, that looks delicious. We'll be firing up the smoker for the holidays. Ribs, brisket, and split pig sides will be on the menu. I use the Head Country sauce also.

wow, I do a lot of internet research on different things/ways to smoke, I've never heard of smoked honey. Hats off to you wytex. Wish I was close enough to stop over for a taste.

I just got a smoker for Christmas, what cuts of meat and recipes should I start with?

Ribs and chicken thighs are an easy start to get into smoking. There's smoking and grilling groups on facebook that can walk you through a brisket. But, you can do a chuck roast with the same results and practice. Chuck roast is called the 'poor man's brisket' and is a way cheaper alternative to a brisket for a first go round. I do all of my holiday turkeys in the smoker, as well as brining and smoking my own hams and home cured bacon.

I just did a couple racks of Pork ribs and a nice beef chuck steak using Hickory! It sure turned out nice. I did a large turkey for Thanksgiving and a nice ham and a whole chicken before that. Used Apple wood on the turkey and the chicken and a combination of apple and alder wood on the ham. All were very good. I just purchased the 40" Masterbuilt electric smoker that Cabela's sells and could not be happier with it. Works outstanding! I can't wait to make up some jerky.

I just tried cold smoking some cheese for the first time. Used a soldering iron, a soup can and some mesquite chips. Turned out excellent! Never heard of cold smoking honey, I may have to try that.

What does smoked honey taste like. How do you serve it and with what.

Sounds intriguing and delicious. How did you come up with the idea?

Tastes a little more like caramel. Use it anywhere you use honey and I'll probably make some smoked honey butter. Heard about it online. I went light on smoke, only about 4 hours so it will,be subtle.

375 just start with light smoke on everything. Ribs take less time than almost anything and are pretty easy to get right.

I vacuum seal my cheese and let it temper for a few weeks til eating, but that's because I like a heavier smoke.
Honey is sitting for about 24-48 hours then I'll post an after pic. Color change is subtle, as is taste change. I had 5 lbs sitting around so I thought why not try it. I did pick a really cold day, had to keep temp up to about 150 so the honey would not firm up. I'm betting a few more hours would be even better.

So a conversation over beers led me to this: smoked ice.
Forgot to take a pic before hand, but put a 5 lb bag of ice in shallow pans with a domed foil cover to catch any drippings from the smoker.
Using hickory wood for smoke, leaving it in about 1 1/2 hrs to allow ice to melt and take the smoke.
I'll pour into ice trays and refreeze .
We'll be trying it this evening with a bourbon.

I'll post a pic after the smoke and and after the refreeze.

1 1/2 hours of smoked ice yielded smoked water. Smells pretty interesting but looks like dirty water now. I did add 1 piece of pecan wood to the hickory at the end to help finish it off. Kept the fire low and clean smoke out of the stack.
Into the freezer for a taste test later this evening. They say bourbon, bloody marys and old fashioneds go well with the smoked ice.

DSCN1255 (1024x768).jpgDSCN1258 (1024x768).jpg

Wow, when man yielded fire there was nothing that didn't get a flame on it. When man yielded smoke, even the water he drinks was not safe from testing. Wonder how long before "smoked air" gets bottled...oh wait, that comes for free in big cities.

I like this thread.

Wow, when man yielded fire there was nothing that didn't get a flame on it. When man yielded smoke, even the water he drinks was not safe from testing. Wonder how long before "smoked air" gets bottled...oh wait, that comes for free in big cities.

I like this thread.

Smoked air....? You must be talking about Colorado :W:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back