Default What's on the smoker today?

The last of my cow bison ribs and some pork ribs. Started with some pecan wood sea salt and will finish it up tomorrow.
    Pecan and post oak wood mix for the ribs. Chupacabra 2 Gringos rub on the bison and Head Country Sweet and Spicy on the pork.
    Anyone else fire up the smoker today?

Name:  DSCN1192 (2) (1024x768).jpg
Views: 262
Size:  33.8 KBName:  DSCN1200.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  61.1 KB

That looks great

Off the smoker then a little bbq sauce in the oven. If any of you ever get a bison make sure to take the ribs they are awesome.

Anybody else cook outside today, grill or smoker ?

Name:  DSCN1206 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 229
Size:  78.9 KB

Wytex, that looks delicious. We'll be firing up the smoker for the holidays. Ribs, brisket, and split pig sides will be on the menu. I use the Head Country sauce also.

Buffalo ribs are the best! That looks very good, wytex. I hope to fire up the smoker soon.
    "Ride due West as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains" Robidoux

So today I'm cold smoking some Wyoming honey. Pecan wood for the smoke and I'll go about 3-4 hours depending on strength of the smoke. 3 pans like this ,
    almost 5 lbs.

Name:  DSCN1220 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 116
Size:  58.2 KB

wow, I do a lot of internet research on different things/ways to smoke, I've never heard of smoked honey. Hats off to you wytex. Wish I was close enough to stop over for a taste.

I just got a smoker for Christmas, what cuts of meat and recipes should I start with?
    God I hate man buns...

Quote Originally Posted by 375H&H View Post
    I just got a smoker for Christmas, what cuts of meat and recipes should I start with?
    Ribs and chicken thighs are an easy start to get into smoking. There's smoking and grilling groups on facebook that can walk you through a brisket. But, you can do a chuck roast with the same results and practice. Chuck roast is called the 'poor man's brisket' and is a way cheaper alternative to a brisket for a first go round. I do all of my holiday turkeys in the smoker, as well as brining and smoking my own hams and home cured bacon.
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!!

I just did a couple racks of Pork ribs and a nice beef chuck steak using Hickory! It sure turned out nice. I did a large turkey for Thanksgiving and a nice ham and a whole chicken before that. Used Apple wood on the turkey and the chicken and a combination of apple and alder wood on the ham. All were very good. I just purchased the 40" Masterbuilt electric smoker that Cabela's sells and could not be happier with it. Works outstanding! I can't wait to make up some jerky.

I just tried cold smoking some cheese for the first time. Used a soldering iron, a soup can and some mesquite chips. Turned out excellent! Never heard of cold smoking honey, I may have to try that.

What does smoked honey taste like. How do you serve it and with what.

Sounds intriguing and delicious. How did you come up with the idea?

Tastes a little more like caramel. Use it anywhere you use honey and I'll probably make some smoked honey butter. Heard about it online. I went light on smoke, only about 4 hours so it will,be subtle.

375 just start with light smoke on everything. Ribs take less time than almost anything and are pretty easy to get right.

I vacuum seal my cheese and let it temper for a few weeks til eating, but that's because I like a heavier smoke.
    Honey is sitting for about 24-48 hours then I'll post an after pic. Color change is subtle, as is taste change. I had 5 lbs sitting around so I thought why not try it. I did pick a really cold day, had to keep temp up to about 150 so the honey would not firm up. I'm betting a few more hours would be even better.

Thanks. Sound great. A little honey over ribs. Just a thought.

Envious.

Finished my smoked honey. Ended up with about 6 hrs of smoke. Subtle smoky taste , I'm happy with it.
    It's a little stirred up but should clear up to a nice amber color. The jar on the left is same honey unsmoked.

Name:  DSCN1229 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 37
Size:  41.1 KB

Smoked honey glazed ham conjures...I had no idea wytex