Barnes tmez ?

spikebuck1

Shot tmz 250.grain.with triple 7 .100 grains.into a wood pallet w cardboard target.they are are all over paper. At 150 yds .here is a picture of one of bullets . I found as I walked up .Thoughts? The print out target was 10 in low .right.

Attachments

• 15104480189031727001945.jpg
    15104480189031727001945.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 554
I shoot the 290gr over 100 gr of blackhorn and they shoot very well for me. Have you tried changing your charge? Are you using the correct jag to load them?

As for the bullet you posted, they require hydraulic pressure to expand. Shooting them through wood or dry phonebooks will not make them expand. Shounds goofy but true. Below are 2 i found in my elk this year just under the hide after blowing through all kinds of bone.

1029170832.jpg

I shoot the 290gr over 100 gr of blackhorn and they shoot very well for me. Have you tried changing your charge? Are you using the correct jag to load them?

As for the bullet you posted, they require hydraulic pressure to expand. Shooting them through wood or dry phonebooks will not make them expand. Shounds goofy but true. Below are 2 i found in my elk this year just under the hide after blowing through all kinds of bone.

View attachment 76590

yes ,bought they jag..but how can a bullet carry 150 yards and hit target ,at impact .24 in off the ground and not carry enough kinetic energy to puncture a piece of cardboard .

Well you've got me puzzled now. How hard are they to load? If they are are very tight it could be possible that the bullets arent seated all the way down on the powder. You can lubricate your sabots with a little bore butter also.

You didnt say if you were using pellets or loose powder..loose is traditionally more accurate.

How far was the cardboard from the wood it went through? Thats pretty weird finding it just laying on the ground.

I shoot tye 250 tmz in my muzzle loader behind 120 grains of loose 777. They shoot really good on paper but I haven't shot an animal with them yet

PHam beat me to it. My photos could be a carbon copy. Results are exactly the same too. Pulled from far hide of a bull elk. Very pleased with the accuracy and performance of this saboted projectile.

You know, I struggled with accuracy of my Rem 700 UML with various loads for a month before I found one it liked. I found the TMZ to be one of the hardest to load but the best performing. You may try different sabots. Make sure they are snug when loading. I feel like that is essential for consistency and rifling engagement. It's the only explanation I can come up with for the "all over the paper" problem you described and I experienced.

Buddy and I used these over blackhorn for our mule deers and they performed exceptionally. I forgot to recover the bullet on mine but it didn’t exit and the lungs were liquified. He walked a few yards and died. My buddies had same results but recovered the bullet and it looks like the Barnes commercial, perfect expansion. He put it on the plaque for his euro mount.

Yes,Those are the results i was looking for .I tried the tmez(blue) first ,they seemed to go down tube rather easily.shot 24 inches low.Switched to tez(yellow) but could never get good grouping .Im going back to square 1.New powder.start at 50 yds.Get a tite group then move back.I hope these bullets work out as i was shooting hornady sst 250 grain .But im not confident in this load for elk..Had shot a doe last year.that i would of lost if i didnt see fall.very little to no blood trail.Im limited to what i can buy on shelf as far as bullets in my area.gonna try shockwaves also..Thanks to everyone who replied..

Spikebuck1 I shoot the shockwaves through my traditions pursuit G4 ultralight 50 cal. and have 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I'm using 100 grain of pioneer gold and the 250 grain shockwave. I just sighted in my muzzy with a newly mounted scope. Here's what I found to make sighting it in very easy and did it with only 4 shots.

First (bore sighting my scope) I took the breach plug out and by looking through the barrel I centered an outlet on a wall about 10 yards away, then with out moving the gun I looked through the scope and aligned the crosshairs on the same outlet. This will get you on paper at 13 yards (Yes 13 yards).

Second (first shot at target) I loaded a round and shot for the bulls eye from 13 yards (this is the roughly the first time the bullet crosses your line of sight). My first shot hit 6" low and 1" to the left, Before I made any changes I put the crosshairs back on the bulls eye and had someone move the elevation adjustment on my scope until my crosshairs were inline with my bullet hole, then I moved my windage adjustment until the crosshairs were on the bullet hole.

Third (Second shot at target) I ran a wet patch down the barrel and then a dry patch, I again loaded a round and shot at 13 yards and my bullet hit the bulls eye.

Forth (third shot on target) I again ran a wet patch followed by a dry patch and loaded a round, this time I shot at 50 yards, my bullet hit 1.5" high and perfect left to right. I didn't make any adjustments to my scope.

Fifth (forth shot on target) I ran a wet patch followed by a dry patch and loaded a round and this time I shot at 100 yards, my bullet hit 2" low and again perfect left to right. I did shoot another round after cleaning and my 2 holes at 100 yards were touching.

Try this method out for yours, if you shoot at 13 yards the second time the bullet crosses your line of sight is right around 75 yards, so dead on at 13 equals dead on at 75. I didn't shoot at 150 yards to figure out the drop but where I hunt that would be a long shot. Hope this helps you out.

Spike........
Be sure that you are loading to the same depth every time by marking your ramrod on the 1st load after cleaning and loading the charge and bullet..
When I used to shoot Pyrodex pellets I had depth problems and even broke the wooden ramrod trying to load sabots.
The pyrodex when ignited would create a burnt crud ring at the top of the charge.
This ring would progress closer to the muzzle the more loads I shot.
More obvious on my Omega since I could remove the breech plug and see the burnt ring inside.
Blackhorn 209 is now all I use and I donated all my sabots and started using Hornady Great Plains 385 grain all lead bullets (50 bore size).
Groups tightened and deer hate this setup.
I had good groups with Powerbelts but found that they usually did not stay together long enough to pass through the ribs on the far side of the deer.
Find what your gun likes and what you can load without having to stand on the ramrod.

10Dogs

The 250gr and 290gr Barnes have always shot awesome in every TC I've had or buddies have had. Switch to blackhorn 209 and about 100-110gr by volume and see what happens.

The 250gr and 290gr Barnes have always shot awesome in every TC I've had or buddies have had. Switch to blackhorn 209 and about 100-110gr by volume and see what happens.

Ditto. W/Win.209 Shotgun primers. I switched to 250 TEZ's, as the TMZ's are a total bear to get down my barrel. They both work great w/BH209. Mine likes 100grn.

Just a word of caution to the OP, if someone says they shoot 100g of Blackhorn they mean by volume. That amount of powder actually weighs 70g.

My CVA Accura and I love 250 TEZs over 76 grains of BH209 (which comes out to about 108.5g by volume). I weigh each load out on a scale and put them in some cheap little medical tubes I bought on Ebay. Then I stick all of the tubes in a shotgun shell holding box for storage. It's a nifty setup.

Good point Ephram.
I use a brass measurer that goes down the barrel or into TC speed loaders I carry.I don't do the whole possibles bag in the field.
BH209-follow directions,it works.
Someone else also mentioned not ramming loads consistantly,which is a big one.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back