Follow up on your shots

MJE2083

Just wanted to share a quick story from this mornings pheasant hunt. Dog flushed a rooster this morning and I fired off both barrels. I never saw the bird flinch, nor feathers fly, I was certain that I had a clean miss. Watched the bird fly off probably 100+ yards and land in the edge of the woods. My wife(only in her second season of hunting) says "I think you hit him". I said "No I'm sure I missed, he flew away". She insisted "the bird landed funny, I think you winged him". Just to appease her I said "ok we can walk over that way, maybe he will flush again". She goes in with the dog, and after a few mins I hear "We found him". Dead bird.

I was so sure that I missed this bird that if I was by myself I wouldn't have gone looking for it. I'm still not convinced that it was the same bird I shot at, but with the bitter cold temps(low 20's) this morning this bird was still warm when we found him.

It just goes to show that we should always follow up on our shots. We owe it to the animal to make a recovery. Also goes to show that no matter how experienced we are, we can learn something from a less experienced hunter. I was humbled for sure.

I've killed ducks that didn't know they were dead for many seconds after the shot. it's always strange when a bird is flying away at a distance and runs into a tree or just falls out of the sky. You're right, we do owe it to our prey to follow up.

I've hit quite a few chukar and a couple pheasant that kept flying up to 200 yards then went straight up,rapidly flapping their wings, then died at the top of their ascent and fell straight down dead. You'll find them if you get a good mark. I think that's from a pellet in the heart or lungs.

I've hit quite a few chukar and a couple pheasant that kept flying up to 200 yards then went straight up,rapidly flapping their wings, then died at the top of their ascent and fell straight down dead. You'll find them if you get a good mark. I think that's from a pellet in the heart or lungs.

Pretty weird the first time you see it, like something from Looney Tunes.

Have to especially watch waterfowl shot with steel. Sometimes they make it a couple hundred yards before going down

Was out second day of duck season this year. Stepped away from my decoys to go stir the other side of the pond up. Group 200 yards away in another pool open up. I look back to my spread to see a nice drake mallard cupped into them. Sneak back to jump shoot him but he's lying there dead already. Send my dog for the retrieve...she brings it back...banded.

No one ever came to look for their bird so I kept it.

Thank you. Chuckar are notorious for doing that.

Yup, I have seen this before with chukars. It seems like they sometimes lock their wings after they have been hit and sail for quite a distance and are dead when they hit the ground.

Yup, I have seen this before with chukars. It seems like they sometimes lock their wings after they have been hit and sail for quite a distance and are dead when they hit the ground.

I've seen more than a couple chukar lock their wings and coast clear across a canyon, only to slam into the opposite side at full speed. Reminds me of a WWII plane that just lost a dog fight over the ocean.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back