Proposed CO shed collecting license and season

Oak

Expert
The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission will consider establishing a horn and antler collecting closure on all public lands west of I-25 January 1-April 30 at their November 16 meeting in Yuma. In addition, they will consider a proposal to require purchase of an annual $40 antler and horn collection permit. The meeting agenda can be found here. You can read the proposed regulations at this link. The portion about the new season is on page 2, and the proposed new permit is on page 9.

Man, these guys will stop at nothing to make a buck.

I don't mind the closure, but the permit is ridiculous! I'd rather they raise the NR license fees if they're just looking for extra $...

That's ridiculous....we don't need to charge people to hike around and look for sheds. I don't have a problem with the closure though.

Do they post minutes online or a way to know what was decided or which way their leaning after the meeting?

charge money to walk around and pick up bones??? next thing will be a permit just to hike!!! closure is fine. but the good guys will be screwed.

Why stop there, a permit for berry and mushroom picking next. Owl and Turkey feathers?

charge money to walk around and pick up bones??? next thing will be a permit just to hike!!! closure is fine. but the good guys will be screwed.

You used to have to buy a Wilderness Permit to park along the side of the road in a NF in California....

Maybe a permit to sell them, but paying to take a shed home is ridiculous and would only make sense for the commercial operators.

Maybe a permit to sell them, but paying to take a shed home is ridiculous and would only make sense for the commercial operators.

The $40 permit could be paid for by selling one shed from a 300" bull. Not endorsing and of this...just pointing out the value of sheds. I think the most interesting aspect of this proposal is from the standpoint of the NR big game hunter in the fall that finds a shed and picks it up without a license. Is it a Lacey Act violation to sell or transport an illegally collected shed across state lines? :)

Really does seam silly but as oak mentioned there is a ready market for sheds and not just big ones.

I think the most interesting aspect of this proposal is from the standpoint of the NR big game hunter in the fall that finds a shed and picks it up without a license. Is it a Lacey Act violation to sell or transport an illegally collected shed across state lines? :)

That's a dangerous path.

Well, "we" CO residents just voted down (via our elected officials) a modest resident license fee increase. CPW is going to get creative on revenue growth now. It's thus somewhat our own damn fault that they are looking down these paths.

Note that I personally think the concept of a recreational shed-hunting license is ridiculous, but they are going to try and monetize whatever they can.

The $40 permit could be paid for by selling one shed from a 300" bull. Not endorsing and of this...just pointing out the value of sheds. I think the most interesting aspect of this proposal is from the standpoint of the NR big game hunter in the fall that finds a shed and picks it up without a license. Is it a Lacey Act violation to sell or transport an illegally collected shed across state lines? :)

I like the idea of the season and permit. I think that the increased interest in shed hunting puts a lot of uneeded stress on wintering animals. I think that a season with a permit that takes in the time from the winter closure through a couple of months could generate revenue from those who hunt antler religiously to sell off and make $$$. Why should it be free for those that intend to profit. It could reopen for a free for all prior to the hunting seasons, thus negating fines for those that randomly pick up a few horns....

Everyone wants something for free.....unfortunately that's not how it works....

Well, "we" CO residents just voted down (via our elected officials) a modest resident license fee increase. CPW is going to get creative on revenue growth now. It's thus somewhat our own damn fault that they are looking down these paths.

Note that I personally think the concept of a recreational shed-hunting license is ridiculous, but they are going to try and monetize whatever they can.

Since CPW already operates in the black, why do they need to get creative?

I'm not sure what you're saying, but yes, for commercial people it would pay for itself. And if it was $40 for everyone the commercial folks would pretty much have the place to themselves since no sane person is going to buy a permit to bring home a couple small antlers they find on a walk.

I'm not sure what you're saying, but yes, for commercial people it would pay for itself. And if it was $40 for everyone the commercial folks would pretty much have the place to themselves since no sane person is going to buy a permit to bring home a couple small antlers they find on a walk.

I think there is a broader spectrum of people who gather sheds. I don't believe it's either a commercial folk or a sane person bringing home a couple of small antlers from a walk. ;)

I used to be a shed hunting fanatic, but I rarely get out even once a year any more to specifically hunt for sheds. Yet I somewhat regularly find them when hunting, scouting, or working in the woods. I definitely wouldn't consider myself a commercial collector by any means, although I sold antlers several times over the years when I used to hunt them more frequently. Yet a couple of years ago I found myself running out of reasonable space to pile them again and decided to sell them.

sheds.jpg

That pile was about $7,500 worth. So if they pass this new shed season and license requirement, I will purchase a license at the beginning of the year when I purchase my small game and fishing combo, on the off chance that I stumble across a shed when I'm out in the woods. Because wouldn't it be disappointing to happen upon a giant set and not have the license?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back