Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sambar Down Under

AussieHunter

Guys a mate of mine, Steve, does some good video on his pursuit of Sambar Deer in Victoria, Australia.

I reckon he does a pretty fine job of it considering he isn't a professional. So I thought I'd just share his latest adventure that he posted up on YouTube.

This was the first week of November 2017 and interestingly it snowed the night previous to them going into the back country. This hunt is on public land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJCLoE8e0yY

Last edited:
Parts 2,3 and 4 are up now.

Unfortunately he didn't get a Sambar on the ground but they saw some beautiful country and great sites in a tough area. He and Ben both got "honked" and they saw a number of animals.

There is plenty more content on Australian Hunting on his channel Bolt Action Productions.

Extremely high quality video work. Can you tell me about his rifle stock? Carbon fiber?

Steve had been carrying a Sako Finlite in 308 as a consideration to weight in the steep terrain. Alongside this he also had a Sako Roughtec Range Pro in 7mm Rem Magnum for long range work to get deer when hunting on fringe country (local stations (ranches) backing onto public lands and heavily timbered ranges) and this was more about getting animals for meat.

Three months ago he decided that maybe he could combine lightweight with long range to cover close in heavy cover and cross gully shots so he started to consider his options, and there are plenty out there particularly if you are willing to pay. After some online research and assistance from a few other blokes he purchased the last Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm Rem Magnum in Australia with a factory set trigger. He then sourced a Kiwi Composites Carbon Fibre Long Range Hunter stock and a titanium recoil lug and bedded the rifle into the stock using the stock manufacturers recommendations. The rifle is topped with a Swarovski Z5 3-18X44 in Talley lightweight direct mount rings.

It shoots 162 grain Hornady ELD-X into 0.5MOA at just over 3000fps.

Steve is extremely impressed with the quality of build of the stock and he is a hard man to please with high standards.

I believe that area was burnt about 6 years ago. The tops were covered in snow upto about 6 weeks ago for the winter.

Yep he does a very good quality video and spends a lot of time doing the post production and carry the weight of 3 cameras, two of which are the Sony Action Cam and a Prosumer level Sony. He may have more up in about a week as he and his best mate Leigh are going on a meat run after deer on this coming weekend; stock up for Christmas Celebrations.

Last edited:
Great video and tough hunting in that sea of gums. How many years since the fire? The mountains, both the contours and elevations are quite similar to our Eastern mountains.

Great to know we share similar terrains. What are the differences in vegetation? A lot of your trees are deciduous are they not?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back