Default Wifes First Bull Elk! 2017 in Colorado!

I know it's a repeat, but I am so proud of my wife, Anastasia......she got her first bull on her first try during a tough 2017 Colorado rifle season......The elk were tucked into the timber tight...she snuck up on this guy in his bed and got a 25 yard shot in the black timber, followed by about a three mile drag at 10000 feet. She stuck it through from the stalk and all through the day to get it back to the truck!
    Name:  Anastasia's Bull 2017.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  71.6 KB

Congratulations to your wife. Great to have a wife that shares and understands your passion for the hunt.

Congrats!

Congrats to your wife.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Awesome!

Congrats to the 2 of u on an Elk , special times hunting with a spouse
    Soli Deo Gloria - To GOD alone the GLORY

You DRUG that Bull 3 miles? You and your wife are tougher than me and mine!
    When I die, spread me over the Mission mountains so I can watch the Sunset over Flathead for eternity!

A huge congratulations to your wife, but I’m still trying to figure out WTF people drag elk? Gutless method and backpacks.

Great photo!
    Fear the beard....

Congratulations to your wife on a nice bull and a great job! Good for you and you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by JLS View Post
    A huge congratulations to your wife, but I’m still trying to figure out WTF people drag elk? Gutless method and backpacks.

Great photo!
    One trip....done.

You could easily backpack a spike out in one trip. To each their own, I’ve done both and only do one way now.

Again congrats to your wife. The first elk is a cool experience.
    Fear the beard....

Dragged it on a sled? I can't imagine dragging an elk 3 miles. Dragging a whitetail any more than a couple hundred yards is more than I want to do.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

Way to go! Hunting timber is fun.
    "No Kuiu here"

Very nice!!!! Congrats to both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Madman View Post
    I know it's a repeat, but I am so proud of my wife, Anastasia......she got her first bull on her first try during a tough 2017 Colorado rifle season......The elk were tucked into the timber tight...she snuck up on this guy in his bed and got a 25 yard shot in the black timber, followed by about a three mile drag at 10000 feet. She stuck it through from the stalk and all through the day to get it back to the truck!
    Name:  Anastasia's Bull 2017.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  71.6 KB

That's the way to get it done! Congratulations on the successful stalk.

But perhaps you can explain about the three mile drag. Even a horse wouldn't drag an elk three miles.

Well done Anastasia ! I had the pleasure of helping a Lady Hunt-Talker and her husband .pack out her first bull this past Friday. Must be the year for the girls! Great picture Madman!
    Last edited by twodot; 11-12-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: name confusion, sorry.

Oh, and for the others questioning dragging elk, we drug this last bull, right at 4 miles with her hubby and I each pulling a sled. He had head, neck, both fronts and ribcage with attached hide. My load was both rears, pelvis, and loins up to third rib, with hide. Would have been sweet if we would have had more snow, muddy spots and soapweed can add to the effort pretty badly. I got lucky at about mile 3 my son showed up to help and we put one rear quarter on a pack and then I got my wife to spell me with the sledding, my sled was breaking up from to much coulee crossing. And to not have lightened the load on it would have gotten bad quickly. The husband of our un-named huntress drug the entire front half of a six point across rough country without anyone spelling him the whole way. He is a beast, yes you can drag elk. This could be a whole topic of it's own and we should start another thread for it. Again, well done Madman and Miss A.
    Last edited by twodot; 11-12-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: used wrong name!!!!

Lads, let me explain it this way....if you say you can't do it, you won't...period. I can do anything I put my mind to....This is not the first bull I have dragged out whole, and many of them over multiple miles......Snow helps a lot, but last years bull we drug well over two miles, no snow, on a downhill and through black timber, and I do not use a sled. He had at least 200 lbs on this animal. Perhaps I'm dedicated, insane, or just one bad Mo-Fo!

Quote Originally Posted by Madman View Post
    Lads, let me explain it this way....if you say you can't do it, you won't...period. I can do anything I put my mind to....This is not the first bull I have dragged out whole, and many of them over multiple miles......Snow helps a lot, but last years bull we drug well over two miles, no snow, on a downhill and through black timber, and I do not use a sled. He had at least 200 lbs on this animal. Perhaps I'm dedicated, insane, or just one bad Mo-Fo!
    You must take Mtn Ops.

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Mode View Post
    You must take Mtn Ops.
    mic drop

Congrats to your wife on an awesome bull!

That is kickass, congrats to your wife!

But I'll echo the bafflement on dragging...hell, I didn't even drag my antelope doe this year and I could see my car a quarter mile from where she went down! Gutless quarter and on ice fast for everything means you get sweet meat and don't have a bunch of garbage (hide, pelvis, lower legs, spine) to throw away! I'm practically married to my Stone Glacier backpack.

She's a badass! Congrats to her!
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!!

What is that on her head?
    I'll pass on the Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Tow strap for dragging out whole elk.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    balaclava (if I spelled that correctly). Just pulled up over her head. Hides the shine of human skin very well