Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

CWD Found in MT

Remember, Hunting Wife.....
Evidence, Data, and things of that nature are all left to interpretation by the interpreter. What could be an enlightening conversation usually doesn't turn out that way very often.

Oops, my bad.

The moment erroneous and off-the-wall interpretations of science by people who don’t understand what they are looking at became “valid”, is precisely the moment in which we all became screwed. :W:

I wonder how much of this is that they have done more testing for it this year vs. all these deer have just moved in?

Texas has really stepped up it's testing for CWD this year. No positives so far though.

I wonder how much of this is that they have done more testing for it this year vs. all these deer have just moved in?

Texas has really stepped up it's testing for CWD this year. No positives so far though.

That’s exactly what we’re seeing. Funding for surveillance was cut back dramatically around 2012. Within the last year or so sampling in these two high risk areas (adjacent to endemic areas in Wyoming and Canada) was ramped back up as the state began working on the CWD plan in earnest. I think the agency has been operating for a while under the assumption that it was here already, they just didn’t have the sample size to detect it yet.

Wow this is a terrible new development. 401 has been our deer hunting district since I was old enough to hunt. We've been lucky enough have a family friend who owns a ranch along the border with loads of whitetail and muleys. The EHD outbreak a few years ago didn't make it that far north so there are a ton of deer around (and no single region WT doe tag). I suspect with the high population CWD could spread quite quickly.

CWD has some similarities with Johne's disease, but more closely to CWD in cattle. The reason I state that it has been around longer than anyone thinks is that these sort of things rarely just show up out of the blue. The earliest case I saw of a deer that was most likely infected was in the early 80's in eastern Mt. This deer displayed all the signs of CWD(however at the time I'd never heard of CWD). Right wrong or indifferent, the landowner whom I was with dispatched said deer and put it out of its misery. He thought it must have a form of Johne's, as he had just lost a cow from this.

I am not advocating sitting around and doing nothing about this problem, but I do not want to see an over-reaction and wipe an area out of deer, unless it is proven to me the thing that has to be done..... the prion's that cause this most likely will still be around even if the deer are all gone, so it really does little good to wipe out a population.

CWD has some similarities with Johne's disease, but more closely to CWD in cattle. The reason I state that it has been around longer than anyone thinks is that these sort of things rarely just show up out of the blue. The earliest case I saw of a deer that was most likely infected was in the early 80's in eastern Mt. This deer displayed all the signs of CWD(however at the time I'd never heard of CWD). Right wrong or indifferent, the landowner whom I was with dispatched said deer and put it out of its misery. He thought it must have a form of Johne's, as he had just lost a cow from this.

I am not advocating sitting around and doing nothing about this problem, but I do not want to see an over-reaction and wipe an area out of deer, unless it is proven to me the thing that has to be done..... the prion's that cause this most likely will still be around even if the deer are all gone, so it really does little good to wipe out a population.

I have no interest in conjecture about how long CWD has been around.
But, come on Eric.
Some individual deer, 30 years ago, some (landowner) guy saw, had some symptoms, of some illness.
So it was probably CWD.
To say that's a stretch is putting it very politely.

I did not say it was definitely CWD, but if I had to bet.

CWD came from an area that sheep had been held in, then a handful of deer were penned on this same ground in the 60's(in Co. if am not mistaken). The deer were turned loose. So, did the disease just appear from nowhere, or was the prion already in the soil and the condensing of sheep, followed by the deer just create a spot that overloaded the area w/ prions? The deer subsequently infected. The latter is my guess, the prion has been around for a long time. Perhaps some wizard out there can correct me and these things just show up as if pulled out of a hat.

So when you hear hoof beats, you automatically assume it’s zebras?

A couple of decades of surveillance and something like 18,000 negative tests up to this point from across the state of Montana. The first detections of the disease end up being precisely in those areas epidemiology predicted would have the highest likelihood of incursion, so not at all “out of the blue”. I don’t know how a reasonable person can look at those facts and conclude that CWD has existed in the state for a very long time. Yet you conclude that a skinny deer in Eastern Montana in the 80’s did have CWD “out of the blue” and that makes sense to you, even though the existing data would say that is extremely unlikely?

Lots of much more common diseases or conditions can result in skinny deer. None of them are similar to CWD. But as onpoint so gently reminded me earlier, some powers of deduction do defy logic.

nice rant.

CWD is also just north of me, in Sask.... I did not conclude anything just that a deer observed in the 80's had CWD like symptoms, and I have seen other deer here in Mt. over the course of the last 4-5 years that if I had to guess were infected w/ CWD. Was it? Can't say for certain, but if I were to bet.

All I is hope is that the Dept. doesn't over-react and wipe out a deer population to find out in 2 yrs. that it did no good and we should have left well enough alone.

They aren't listening to you very well Eric and keep putting words in your mouth that you didn't speak. I agree with you 100% and if a good share of these members would read up on CWD just maybe they would understand where you're coming from! CWD was first diagnosed exactly like you mentioned in northern CO and lots of testing also found it up in southern WY and this was way back in the 70s. Scientists are no closer now than way back in the 70s in how to deal with it because the prions are almost impossible to eliminate, as has been found where they have tried to kill them in the soil with no success in captive farm areas where it was found. Those areas in CO and WY were not decimated by the disease and I'm not aware of any other areas as widespread as it's being found that have been either. IMHO Wisconsin made a ridiculous knee jerk reaction and literally wiped out most animals in a big area killing everything in sight and dumping them all in landfills without even testing most of them! The disease is still there and, unlike EHD that kills huge numbers in just a few weeks from a midge bite, takes years to develop and I would bet that many animals that have CWD are killed and eaten by families throughout the states where it has been found with no ill effects.

Last edited:
Back