PEAX Equipment

Illegally Playing the System

Eh...my guess is he'll get a slap on the wrist at best. Seems like guys w/ big money always do.

Kudos to FWP for rooting out another law breaker...I hope they get "back up" from the judicial system when/if punishment comes. If he is the R's best candidate vs. Tester, well...Tester has another 6 years as Senator in front of him.

"A person must live in Montana for 180 days prior to buying a resident hunting and fishing license. The person also must register a vehicle in Montana, file state income tax returns as a resident and not possess or apply for any residential hunting, fishing or trapping privileges in another state."

So it's impossible to become a Montana resident if you don't own a vehicle?

He's a representat I've for Montana but isn't eligible for resident license??That all seems pretty odd.But the transfer of license to another hunter to kill a bull is BS.Besides that,I don't get why it would make your blood boil

He's a representat I've for Montana but isn't eligible for resident license??That all seems pretty odd.But the transfer of license to another hunter to kill a bull is BS.Besides that,I don't get why it would make your blood boil

Did you read the article?

Downing had purchased resident conservation and season fishing licenses in 2014 and 2015. And in 2015, Downing purchased a resident conservation and season fishing license, a resident general elk license, a resident general deer license and a resident hunting access enhancement.

Income tax returns showed that Downing filed income taxes as a non-resident in 2013 and 2014 but as a full-year resident in 2015.

Yea, this shouldn't be a tough case to prove.

Be really curious if he's walking around with a California resident fishing license since he lives near me in San Diego.

So it's impossible to become a Montana resident if you don't own a vehicle?

No, more accurately, "Vehicles operated in Montana must be licensed and titled as required by Montana law." This is pretty standard, if you move from California to Montana and get an Montana driver's license but leave your cars titled in California a cop is going to write you a ticket or at least tell you to get your car registered correctly. If you have both a CA license and CA registration and don't claim to be a full resident you would be fine. If you claim to be a full time resident in any state everything has to match up. A full time MT resident could have their primary car title in MT, a driver's license in MT, and pay Taxes in MT and CA and have a second car registered in CA that they drive in CA. Basically you have to pick one state per hunting season, and live in that state the majority of the year.

Last edited:
If you are gainfully employed in Montana you are required to license your vehicle in Montana immediately NO matter what state you claim to reside in. There is no grace period involved.

Dan

I have a similar situation. I own a home in Idaho that I rent out, I have a cabin in Alaska that I call home. I travel on business almost 100% of the time with my company finding/ paying for housing. I have an Alaska drivers license, power bill, etc. I spend more PERSONAL time in Alaska than any other state as I consider that home and the other places ‘temporary duty stations’. Like this fellow, I wonder where the law would say I can call myself a resident.
If he has broken the law, he should get hung from a tree , figuratively of course.

I have a similar situation. I own a home in Idaho that I rent out, I have a cabin in Alaska that I call home. I travel on business almost 100% of the time with my company finding/ paying for housing. I have an Alaska drivers license, power bill, etc. I spend more PERSONAL time in Alaska than any other state as I consider that home and the other places ‘temporary duty stations’. Like this fellow, I wonder where the law would say I can call myself a resident.
If he has broken the law, he should get hung from a tree , figuratively of course.

For hunting purposes they would probably look at which state you call you tax home, if you have an AK resident license and then purchase NR licensees in all other states, and where you are registered to vote. Generally speaking the law is fairly simple... pick one place that you call your primary home, use that address for all your personal business and legal obligations.

Looks like he fat fingered “representative for Montana”. I do it all the time and my smart devices make me look silly.
I get the typo. But I want to know why mixedbag referred to Mr. Downing as a "representative" for Montana. As a Montanan whose grandparents homesteaded here ... it's really difficult for me to fathom why Downing would be a "representative for Montana" ... but then again Gianforte in the House "for Montana" is a difficult reality for me!

Yeah,its fat fingers and auto correct,lol.I thought he was a Montana congressman,but just had another home somewhere.I guess I'm just tired and didn't comprehend what I read,sorry.Obviously if he's a congressman from another state then of course we should hang him at dusk

... if he's a congressman from another state ...
No, he's not that either. I encourage you to fully read the article linked previously. You will learn that Troy Downing is a candidate who plans to be on the primary ballot for the upcoming election to unseat or to retain Montana's Senator Tester. Downing's campaign director is the wife of Dept of Interior Secretary Zinke, which is one reason that he has caught the attention of the press recently.

I get the typo. But I want to know why mixedbag referred to Mr. Downing as a "representative" for Montana. As a Montanan whose grandparents homesteaded here ... it's really difficult for me to fathom why Downing would be a "representative for Montana" ... but then again Gianforte in the House "for Montana" is a difficult reality for me!

By that reasoning Hillary Clinton would not have been a senator either, too bad it doesn't work that way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back