Older vs. New Vortex Razor Spotting Scopes

rtraverdavis

I'm in the market for a new spotting scope, and am wondering if anyone can speak to the optical quality of the new Razor spotters compared with the older versions. I keep seeing the older 85mm on sale for $1100 on Camofire, and the new 65mm goes for around $1200, which are both in my budget. I can't spend the $1600 on the new 85mm version.
I like the packable quality of the 65mm for backpack hunts, but understand that the optical quality will be better with a larger objective lens. Is the 85mm lens really worth the extra size and weight, or are these new Razors that much better in optical quality that I wouldn't notice much difference if I got the 65mm? Thanks in advance.

I just recently went through the same thing. I compared the old 85mm and the new 65mm and 85mm. Between the old 85 and new 85, I didn't see any noticeable difference in optical quality. The new one has some differences like the focal knobs but nothing that justified paying the extra price for the new model. Now comparing the 65mm to 85mm in the new models (they didn't have an old model 65) there is a significant difference in light transmission. Especially in low light. I ended up buying the old model 85 and got it for around $950 from Cabela's.

I just got done using it heavily during my recent CO trip and have no regrets. It is heavier and bigger than the 65 but even after walking about 20miles I didn't notice the added weight.

I'm sorry, I can't help with your decision but I can tell you that Cabelas currently has the angled old version in 65mm for $799.

Thanks guys. I’m going to head down to Cabelas on Friday and see if I can take a look through both. I appreciate the help.

I have the older versions of both the 65strait and the 85 strait I got this year,,both are awesome,,65 is a bit lighter,,85 is better for long range-low light,,,nothing wrong with the older version,,excellent optic,

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back