My hunting rifles

prhunter

Hi all! I'm looking to re-scope some of my most used hunting rifles.

I currently have the following:

Weatherly Vanguard older model w/ green syn stock) .308 24" barrel
HOWA 1500 (older model w/ Boyds stock) 30-06 22" barrel
REM 700 (ADL syn) .308 24" barrel
Winchester Model 70 "Black Shadow" .270win 24" barrel

All of them currently wear entry level Leupolds but I'm looking to upgrade to VX 2s or VX 3s.

Not sure if to get the new scopes with the CDS system or LR duplex/Boone and Crockett reticle.

I'm also looking to turn one of those into a lightweight mountain rifle. I guess I need to start with the lightest one.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks!

I've been looking at the Boone & Crockett reticle lately.

For BDC's i'm using Crossfire IIs.

Really looking hard at the Sightron STAC line with MOA reticle.

Cabelas has a heck of a sale on the 2-10 Vortex Razor HD LH right now. That scope is a much better optic than any Leupold below the VX5 HD line. Their 1.5-8X32 is also a sweet scope. I like Leupold scopes, but their glass in the VX2 and VX3i lines lags the competition at the same price point. That said, it is certainly good enough to get you to the end of shooting light in most situations. Meopta makes a really good 3-9X40 that is worth a look. Zeiss rebranded that scope for their Conquest line and it is a great optic.

Otherwise, if Leupold is a requirement, VX3i 3.5-10X40 or 2.5-8X36 either with B&C reticle. I would get all the same scope for those rifles since they are all very similar ballistically. I see no need to go with a high power optic on your rifles. 8 or 10X will get you well past most people's comfortable shooting distances. CDS is a toss up. I like both systems. Reticles tend to be faster. Dials are more precise. I've had situations come up where one was better than the other, and vice versa.

Jeremy

I have both the b&c reticle and the lr duplex. For me holdover is easier than messing with knobs. 3-9x40 for the vx-2 and 3.5-10x40 for the vx-3.

So mostly what your looking at is new reticle's? I doubt you'll get a much better scope than what you've got! For a light weight mountain rifle I'd go with either a 1-4x or at most 2-7x all duplex or old 4 plex if I could find one. My 4 1/2-4x Nikon has that BDC reticule, what a POS! It was the only one left and on sale so I got it thinking Nikon would change it out for me. Won't do it! Wonder if it broke somehow that they would replace it with a duplex?

Most of my rifles sport Leupold VX2 3x9 with the standard duplex reticle.
I'm not fond of the other type of reticles, too much stuff to think about.

You think they are bad now, you should see one of the old Herter range finding scope's. Different sized circle's all over inside it!

I have a 4.5x14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle. Love that scope. So far three animals with three shots. Elk at 450 yards, deer at 200 and antelope at 280. The 3.5-10x40mm would also be great as would the 2.5-8x36mm with the same reticle. I like the hold-overs as they are quick and less likely-hood of making a mistake.

The LR dots reticle that Leupold would be good also. I'm a fan of the 6x36mm and 6x42mm fixed power Leupolds.

Zeiss Conquest with the Z600 reticle would be another winner.

Thanks for the replies. I recently purchased a VX2 LR and a VX3 with the B C reptile. Those will be mounted on the Win 70 and HOWA 1500. I'll be mounting a CDS scope on one of the 308's but still not sure which one. Thanks again for the input.

So I ordered the CDS for my 4-12x40 VX-2, the question now is which .308 to mount it on....

The Weatherby Vanguard or the Remington 700 SPS/ADL???? Both have 24" barrels.

Any input will be appreciated.

If you have a Cabelas in the area I'd go check the bargain cave - a lot of them still have some Cabelas Instinct Euro scopes in stock. Usually between 300-500 bucks, these scopes are rebranded Meopta Meopros(mostly)... on par with much higher quality glass if you're unfamiliar.

Back