Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Elk unit 125 questions

Gynaroo

I picked up a cow/calf tag for area 125. It looks like most of the huntable area is though a HMA. Anybody hunted this area and have any advice? Are elk in there year round or is it completely a migratory area? If so when do the elk tend to move in? Just trying to figure out logistics with my wife being pregnant and when I should get out. Thanks for any advice.

Call the local biologist or game warden. Contact information for both can be found in the Law Enforcement section of the G&F website.

I’ve put calls in to both Ryan the game Warden and Will the Biologist. Just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the area?

From what I understand are the elk are pretty much untouchable on private lands or because of them blocking access to any public ground.I think your only bet is any HMA in the unit.I looked into possible flight into the public,but was told nobody would do that due to who the guy is that pretty much blocks the access.Guess he's someone that nobody wants to get on his bad side.But good luck.Keep calling warden he may even know a rancher in there that would want a cow or 2 killed.I heard ranchers were complainin years ago about the elk damage

I hunted 125 for bulls years ago. If you pm me I'll share what I know.

I’ve put calls in to both Ryan the game Warden and Will the Biologist. Just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with the area?

Did you have luck with the biologist/warden? My wife and I will be hunting unit 125 this fall as well.

Lots of elk on Elk Mountain, but no public access other than the HMA. We've visited several of the local ranchers (TA Ranch, Johnsons, Kelley Cattle) while hunting area 12 and all declined to allow access.

I'll be hunting on a ranch north of Elk Mountain. Just wondering if people had knowledge of the size/populations in the plains around Elk Mountain, and if Gynaroo had gotten a hold of the warden of biologist. I tried calling the biologist earlier in the week and didn't reach him. I heard Peterson Outfitters killed a 347" last season. I also saw that unit 125 had a super low harvest this past season. Anyone know whats up with that?

Is it not possible to corner hop your way onto the mountain from the HMA? I have no plans to hunt the unit but it seems that, for someone brave enough, you could manage to get up there.

The unit has been running up in the mid 70's for the last few years with total harvests averaging 210+, total harvest this year was 177.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Not all hunters fill out surveys. Published harvest rates are estimates based on usable surveys. With margins of error being roughly +/-9%, actual harvest rate could vary by 15% or more from one year to the next, and you'd never know it. The harvest rate between 2016 and 2017 may have been the same, for all we know. If estimated harvest rates between years or between units differ by less than ~18%, you really can't confidently make any inferences. Even given the margin of error, 61.8% is good.

My sense would be that in an area like that with tough public access, the high bull harvest rate is largely the result of guided hunters.

I have often wondered why this unit doesn't come up when I read of the non residents complaining about drawing a cow tag. I live in Hanna on the ne corner of this unit and regularly drive around and thru this area. My neighbor uses this unit as his go to cow tag. I realize the herd is migratory and late in the season, but have also seen some occasionally wander north of i80 onto accessible state and Blm prop. Was just wondering.

There's also the Elk Mountain HMA that's available the last two weeks of the cow season with unlimited permission slips, and Carbon 12 walk in area.

I have often wondered why this unit doesn't come up when I read of the non residents complaining about drawing a cow tag. I live in Hanna on the ne corner of this unit and regularly drive around and thru this area. My neighbor uses this unit as his go to cow tag. I realize the herd is migratory and late in the season, but have also seen some occasionally wander north of i80 onto accessible state and Blm prop. Was just wondering.

I think units where success depends weather and migration are tough for non-residents. Area 8 is similar. Locals can wait till they hear elk are on public land and go hunting on very short notice. I wouldn't hesitate to get an area 8 cow tag, but I would never recommend it for non-residents who can't drop everything and head to the field in a matter of hours. I assume area 125 is similar.

Is it not possible to corner hop your way onto the mountain from the HMA? I have no plans to hunt the unit but it seems that, for someone brave enough, you could manage to get up there.

If you Google "Wyoming Public Land Access Guide" you'll come across a BLM pdf that discusses what is public land. One of the questions in it goes like this.. Q: What does the law say with regard to corner crossing? A: There is no specific state or federal laws regarding corner crossings. Corner crossing in the checkerboard land patter area or elsewhere are not considered legal public access. It is trespassing.

If you Google "Wyoming Public Land Access Guide" you'll come across a BLM pdf that discusses what is public land. One of the questions in it goes like this.. Q: What does the law say with regard to corner crossing? A: There is no specific state or federal laws regarding corner crossings. Corner crossing in the checkerboard land patter area or elsewhere are not considered legal public access. It is trespassing.

But is it specifically considered illegal access?? I'm pretty sure a corner crossing case was thrown out in court and Game and Fish no longer issues tickets for it. The sheriff may or may not issue a minor trespassing ticket. I'll take my chances corner hopping, though I have no desire to do it in this particular unit. It just looks like a prime place for someone to go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back