Wyoming Elk unit 125 questions

But is it specifically considered illegal access?? I'm pretty sure a corner crossing case was thrown out in court and Game and Fish no longer issues tickets for it. The sheriff may or may not issue a minor trespassing ticket. I'll take my chances corner hopping, though I have no desire to do it in this particular unit. It just looks like a prime place for someone to go for it.

I'm by no means a lawyer, but if it's not considered legal access, is it not illegal? Besides, once you get into the may or may not get a ticket or get it thrown out in court scenarios, you're gambling with up to a $750 fine plus I would assume associated court fees, travel costs etc... To each his own, but I'm not going to do it. In this particular case, having hunted a neighboring unit for several years and talking to ranchers and ranch hands along Pass Creek Rd, there's no doubt in my mind if you'd get caught they'd be calling the sheriff. I'm sure they own or work in conjunction with the outfitters working on Elk Mountain and they're going to protect a business that has folks paying thousands of dollars to hunt.

I'll take my chances corner hopping, though I have no desire to do it in this particular unit. It just looks like a prime place for someone to go for it.
That sounds pretty wishy-washy to me. Are you going to step up and cross that corner ... or just say you would and not, hoping someone else has the cojones?

That sounds pretty wishy-washy to me. Are you going to step up and cross that corner ... or just say you would and not, hoping someone else has the cojones?

I'll stick to corner hopping where I antelope hunt. I'm not going to get an elk tag in an area I have no interest in hunting for the sole purpose of corner hopping. This just seems to be an area where private parties are seriously profiting by keeping the public off of their lands.

That area around Elk Mountain is well known and many have tried the corner crossing, it is very rugged and to my knowledge corner crossing is an iffy prospect. The elk do wander across the Interstate with snow and winter conditions. I would not even try to compare it to area 8, those elk migrate up from Colorado and did not make it into Wyoming this past fall. You might look into as landowner in the cabins on the NE side of the mountain and see if one of those folks might grant access for elk hunting, some have access to the mountain.

PM sent Gynaroo.

The Biologists was awesome with information. The Game Warden was helpful as well just a little more difficult to get in touch with. I had a Type 6 tag for 125 which I hunted only late December middle of January once the snow flew. I stayed on BLM, State land, and the HMA. The elk weren’t low or off of the mountain until the snow piled up. I hunted a general tag and was successful so this type 6 tag was my back up plan. We haven’t bought beef since October 16th.
Any questions just PM me.

Does anyone know if there's currently an outfitter operating on elk mountain ranch? From what I can find the only outfitter in the unit is Peterson outfitters. I know the previous owners of elk mountain ranch were running an outfit, they were advertising 340-360" bulls. I think they sold in 2007 and the populations have just gone up since then.

Today I was lucky enough to be awarded a 125-6 tag. October 1 - January 31 is season. I live approximately 28 hours away from this unit, and have very little knowledge of the area. Anyone have any pointers they would be willing to share? Got to start my research on this unit to figure out the logistics. When and where mainly. I do plan on calling the biologist pretty soon. I know they are helpful. Anyone ever have any luck hunting public land on this unit in October (not on the HMA)? I know its mainly checkerboard, just didnt know if anyone has tried and conquered, or tried and failed? I have about 3 months to figure this all out and finalize some dates. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Today I was lucky enough to be awarded a 125-6 tag. October 1 - January 31 is season. I live approximately 28 hours away from this unit, and have very little knowledge of the area. Anyone have any pointers they would be willing to share? Got to start my research on this unit to figure out the logistics. When and where mainly. I do plan on calling the biologist pretty soon. I know they are helpful. Anyone ever have any luck hunting public land on this unit in October (not on the HMA)? I know its mainly checkerboard, just didnt know if anyone has tried and conquered, or tried and failed? I have about 3 months to figure this all out and finalize some dates. Thanks in advance for any advice!
It’s tough unit. I live here and even living here it’s tough to catch the herd on the public sections.

It’s tough unit. I live here and even living here it’s tough to catch the herd on the public sections.
That's not what I wanted to hear! But seriously thanks for the reality check. I'm gonna do as much research as I can to at least give myself a small chance of killing a cow.

Does anyone know if any of the landowners in this unit would be willing to grant access through their property or even hunt their property for a cow elk? for a fee of course..

I would prefer to hunt public land, but am not against paying a little extra if it significantly ups my odds of seeing elk...

Back