Praise for First Lite women’s gear

Hunting Wife

Seeing some new faces around who are interested in learning more about women’s gear, so thought I would share my experience so far this season with some of the women’s clothing from First Lite.

I got the Artemis hoody and the Alturas guide pants earlier this fall, and have been extremely pleased with them thus far. The Alturas pants are lightweight, perfect for early season, warmer weather. I’ve worn them so far upland hunting and antelope hunting. The sizing is generous, unlike some other women’s hunting clothes I’ve tried. I have a lot of trouble with shoulders and hips being too narrow and restricting range of motion, but not so with these clothes. The fabric of the pants is slightly stretchy, which makes them very comfortable when stalking or trying to get into a shooting position. I did wear them this weekend deer hunting with a heavy base layer underneath (it was teens and snowy), but would love to see a heavier pant added to the lineup for cold weather hunts.

I’m finding it hard to take the Artemis hoody off. I got it as an additional base layer for my upcoming Alaska hunt, but I’ve worn it elk hunting, waterfowl hunting, and deer hunting already and absolutely love it! It is lightweight and not bulky at all, but incredibly warm and comfortable. The fit is nice again, and length is a little on the long side which helps keep it tucked in to avoid the draft up your back or down your pants when you sit or bend. Overall, if anyone out there is looking for some quality women’s gear, I think you’ll be pleased with the gear from First Lite. I know I will be adding more to my collection.

Thanks for sharing. I need to start looking at some better clothing for my daughter, and will take a look at the First Lite. Great company too.

Thanks for the information! They look comfortable. Unfortunately they don't make them for plus sizes. I'll keep watching to see if they update their inventory. And keep training to maybe slip into a smaller size down the road. ;)

Thanks for the review. It is so hard to find women's clothing to try on. Have you tried on any Sitka jackets? I'm considering a Kelvin Active as a midlayer. I saw one a couple weeks ago but the need wasn't on my radar so I didn't really look at it. I can't quite remember how dark the gray color was either. Hey, I look fabulous in my brightly colored Patagucci and a fly rod (and fish of course).

I've got actual real live shoulders so women's jackets can be a challenge. The Prois Pro-Edition jacket is tailored perfectly but they don't make a midlayer. Any thoughts? My husband goes up a size in Sitka.

I too liked the fit of the Alturas pants but sure wish First Lite had a pant from fabric like Sitka's Timberline.

I have not seen the Sitka women’s stuff IRL, so know nothing about the fit. I can totally relate to the jacket/shoulder issue though- most of the time I can’t raise my arms or reach forward because they are so freakin’ tight in the shoulder and across the back. I don’t know why, but it’s a consistent problem across multiple companies. I have a Prois Generation X jacket that fits well.

Not sure what to say about mid layers because I swap things in and out all the time depending on how cold it is. My go-to over the past 10 years or so has been the Cabela’s ECWCS shirts. The polar weight ones are super warm, so I’ll often wear those over a lighter merino wool base layer, and a coat. That keeps me warm into the sub-zero if I’m moving. But sometimes I’ll wear just a regular bright colored fleece or a vest, depending on what I’m doing. The Prois Sherpa Fleece vest is nice when it’s cold but I don’t want more sleeves (wing shooting usually when I don’t like to feel all constricted).

If you try the Sitka stuff, let me know what you think!

Will do. I meant Prois' Generation X. It was getting near dinner time. Calorie deprivation and all that. I did try on a pair of Sitka pants. My size was not in stock but I got the impression that the rise is low because, you know, having your pants fall off in the field is important. /sarcasm

FYI, UA's Wintersweet Fleece is the heaviest, densest fleece I know. Sitting still in the wind and cold, it saved my bacon. It was just a tad bright so I couldn't unzip as the temps (and me) fluctuated. I'll check out the Cabelas line. I'm not used to be inactive in the cold. It was a whole new ballgame. I got it at Cabelas last year.

This is awesome. My wife would not go hunting near as much if a company didn't make women's sized apparel, so glad to see the same great brands are available to women as well.

I'm a little late to the thread but after over a year of punishing my Artemis hoody and Lupine crew I can't say enough good things about either piece (perhaps a little bit of fabric fade but absolutely no discernible wear). I've slowly been adding to my hunting gear as my allowance allows, watching sales and stuff. I picked up the Aurora Puffy and the Alturas pants this fall. The puffy coat has been perfect, my only complaints being the fabric at the chin where the zipper is and the pockets don't seem to zip well one-handed. I just got back from a 5 day snowshoe hare hunt to the upper peninsula of Michigan, temps were down in the minus double digits and driving snow and I was fine with the Lupine, Artemis, a Fleece and topped with the Aurora puffy. It'd be awesome if they'd add a heavier weight pant to the women's line up, the Alturas seem to be tough and comfortable, late season Midwest blind or treestand hunting pant they are not. I'd also like to see them add a women's version of the Halstead Fleece or something similar to Sitka's Fanatic hoody.

Stacey

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back