Caribou Gear

Rifle Question

I have two kids under 9 in the house so I keep the most conservative habits in terms of denying them access to any firearms and ammo. They know it would be off limits but as mentioned above, kids will be kids. The only firearm I feel needs to stay loaded is a handgun in a bedside safe. My rifles and shotgun are stored unloaded. I think the key is figuring out what works for you and keeping in mind the others that could have access based on where you store them. If there are ever kids around, especially if not all the time, then I'd keep it as tight as possible.

Hunting rifles unloaded and uncocked in safe and/or gun cabinet.

"Sara" (AR) is ready in closet. Pistols (3) are loaded.
We live away from town. We don't get company.

Was this revolver loaded and cocked?

Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin'.

All my rifles are empty, bolt closed with firing pin released.

Pistols are closed, empty, with mags elsewhere.

Pump shotgun closed empty chamber with mag full.

My kid is 20, but wife is more comfortable this way.

Not the rifles or shotguns, but I keep the mag full on a 9mm and a .45 auto....just not one in the chamber...for home defense

Pistol always has full mags(2/17),loaded, uncocked,safety on & with me.
30-30 in a soft case w/ ammo ,unloaded behind truck seat,always.
30-06 during hunting season in hard case,loaded ,bolt down ,fired on empty chamber,safety on. Extra ammo in case.
Stored empty on fired pin,bolt in.

2 handguns loaded(3rd empty with full mags nearby), 1 shotgun with a box of ammo on the shelf above it, 1 AR with a few mags on the shelf above, all the bolt rifles empty.

I've got a coyote rifle on a rack by back door with rounds in the magazine, none in chamber.
Not unusual to get a crack at one crossing out back.

We don't have any kids in our house and things get put away when grandkids show up.

I see no good reason to keep hunting rifles and shotguns loaded. Weapons for household protection are totally different. If home protection weapons are kept unloaded and separated from their ammo they are useless if needed during a home invasion.
We keep loaded pistols in our bedroom and family room where we spend most of our time when at home. When we have parties they are put away under lock and key.
Our kids are now adults and out of the house. Those of you with small kids should educate them and teach them how to use them so the are not a curiosity to be messed with in secret. Show them the damage a weapon will do if used improperly, not like in video games. You will have to use your own judgement. If unsure, probably err on the side of caution.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back