Canning venison or antelope?

Dieseldog

Anyone have any good tips on canning venison or lope? Any good sauces to add in the jar?. Frank's Red Hot and Blue cheese is one I have heard.. Or just beef broth?

I don't add any liquid when I bottle meat. I will put tea spoon of the beef base paste in the bottom of the bottle and a few shakes of pepper. Pack the meat in as tight as you can get it and then pressure.
I have added fresh jalapeño and that is pretty good. I mostly try to keep it simple.

I add water to 1” below the lid and add a beef bouillon cube in a quart jar. Most of the recipes we use Call for at least a cup of broth so we have that by adding the water.

I canned quite a bit of elk last year and was really pleased with the results. Turned out like pot roast. Here are a few things that worked for me.
- You don't need to add water. The meat will create its own broth.
- Pack it in tight to about 1 inch below the top of the jar.
- I kept it simple with some diced onions, beef bullion, and a little garlic powder. I only needed a teaspoon or two of bullion per quart.
- I mixed the onions well with all of the meat. I put the seasonings on top. The next time I will put them on the bottom or in the middle so they mix a little better.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

I add nothing to mine, same way I've done it for 30+ years. Just add meat to within 1" of the top, slightly tamp down to avoid air pockets. I mostly use shank and tougher cuts of meat which have a lot of flavor compared to larger muscle pieces. This way I can season however I want depending on what I'm making at the time. I have to admit though, adding Jalapenos sounds like a winner.

I don’t add anything, just cold pack and process, though I’ve thought about trying some seasoning in there.

I really want to try it ever since listening to a MeatEater podcast where the groups discussed how easy it is to use and how well it turns out. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I had 1 teaspoon of salt per pint. I also don't add liquid no need to.

I am with the others this allows me to change it how I want when we decide to eat it, BQ sauce, tacos, nachos, gravy, stroganoff, etc.

Anyone raw pack burger? I need to create some room in the freezer, most of which is burger and would like to can it. I've found recipe's for canning it after slightly browning it, but was wondering if it could be done without that step.

We can quite a bit of venison. Forty pints so far this year. We only add 1/2 a teaspoon of salt per pint. Pack tight and pressure. We then do any seasoning while cooking. It is extremely flexible and can be substituted for burger in many recipes. I have considered trying a few different ways to make it, but the basic is so good already. It is my wife's favorite form of game meat.

I add salt and pepper and garlic while browning. That way if I need a quick lunch it's already to go, but still neutral enough to create other dishes out of it.

Anyone raw pack burger? I need to create some room in the freezer, most of which is burger and would like to can it. I've found recipe's for canning it after slightly browning it, but was wondering if it could be done without that step.

Haven't done it yet, but it can be done. Seems like the issue people have with raw packing burger is it looks like hell in a jar and the texture is different. Taste is supposed to be fine, but getting past the other two points seems to be why people favor browning slightly before canning.

I have never done it but a guy I work with does and he browns it first. If you didn't I would be afraid you would get a big clump in the can.

I just did 12 pints of hamburger that I think came out pretty good. Browned it first with pepper and a little garlic, dumped out the grease it made and packed into jars with boiling beef broth up to the neck of the jar. Then cooked at 11 lbs for 75 minutes. Looks good in the jars too, not much fat on top.

I brown the burger before I can it. It doesn't have to be totally browned, just enough so it isn't in clumps.

Well finally getting around to canning my antelope and some deer. Doing 7 quarts today. Just salt and dry au jus in the can. And one has salt, Cajun seasoning and some jalapeño slices. Will know tommorow if they are any good.

I’ve canned a bunch of whitetail, add no liquid. I do add one beef bullion cube , a couple of slices of onion and a few chunks of pepper to some of the jars. Those get used for spicy dishes, straight meat or bullion for other stuff. Never heard of doing hamburger but I may have to try it!

Back