AK Draw Questions

rmyoung1

Who out there understands the AK draw system? I'm hoping I can get help. They've made some changes since the last time I applied, and in the the online system now there are 6 choice options. And it seems like you can even apply for the same code multiple times. For example... let's say my desired hunt code (first choice) is XL001. And my back-up option is XL002. The system will let me apply for XL001 as my choice 1 through 3 and then XL002 as choices 4 through 6, I believe. Is there any advantage to listing your desired hunt code multiple times? How does this system work? I've read a little bit about it on the website, and it seems to indicate that any (or all) of your options could be considered 'winners' in the eye of the system. If multiple codes are selected, then they look at how you ranked them to determine which tag you will be awarded. If I'm understanding that correctly, then it absolutely does make sense to apply for all six choices and repeat your favorites if necessary. Does this make sense to anyone? Help!!!

Nevermind. I got my answer. The AK F&G lets you sort of flood the applicant pool with up to 6 choices if you are willing to pay the $5 application fee per choice. So... there you go.

Nevermind. I got my answer. The AK F&G lets you sort of flood the applicant pool with up to 6 choices if you are willing to pay the $5 application fee per choice. So... there you go.

Thanks for the update. That answers one of my questions as well, but raises another.. Do the draw odds reflect applicants, or applications?

Example, a hunt code is stated to have 50% draw odds. Is that 50% of people who applied drew, or 50% of applications were drawn (at up to 6 apps per person)?

Thanks for the update. That answers one of my questions as well, but raises another.. Do the draw odds reflect applicants, or applications?

Example, a hunt code is stated to have 50% draw odds. Is that 50% of people who applied drew, or 50% of applications were drawn (at up to 6 apps per person)?

I wouldn't bet my life on this, but, as I understand it, the odds in the latest supplement reflect the # of tags drawn divided by the number of applications (or choices) for that particular hunt code... NOT applicants. Again, I wouldn't swear on that, but my source, who was not someone at AK F&G, thought that's how things were listed in the supplement this year. It's interesting if nothing else. A lot of states are trying to eek out as much $$$ as possible from applicants. See Montana's new bonus point program where a 1-year-old can accrue points and a lucky hunter in his/her waiting period can accrue sheep/moose/goat points.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bet my life on this, but, as I understand it, the odds in the latest supplement reflect the # of tags drawn divided by the number of applications (or choices) for that particular hunt code... NOT applicants. Again, I wouldn't swear on that, but my source, who was not someone at AK F&G, thought that's how things were listed in the supplement this year. It's interesting if nothing else. A lot of states are trying to eek out as much $$$ as possible from applicants. See Montana's new bonus point program where a 1-year-old can accrue points and a lucky hunter in his/her waiting period can accrue sheep/moose/goat points.

If that's the case, then I guess draw odds are probably slightly better than published.

This is my first year applying in Alaska, I guess we'll see how it goes with the increased tag fees and application system.

The only hunts you can NOT use 6 applications are for bull moose hunts. You are limited to only 3 bull apps. If you apply for more than 3, all your moose apps will be thrown out.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back