This can make a guy feel overwhelmed

1NCguy

So I'm just starting my research into a Wyoming Pronghorn hunt. So I suspect this is normal especially for someone from the south east. But man trying to even begin to figure out what units to look for a first timer on a western hunt. We don't have units over here and then are there Sub units or if you get a tag for a unit can you hunt the whole unit on public land you can access? I ask because I read a post and someone mentioned unit 113.1 and 113.2 tags just confused as to how this works.

Last edited:
So I'm just starting my research into a Wyoming Pronghorn hunt. So I suspect this is normal especially for someone from the south east. But man trying to even begin to figure out what units to look for a first timer on a western hunt. We don't have units over here and then are there Sub units or if you get a tag for a unit can you hunt the whole unit on public land you can access? I ask because I read a post and someone mentioned unit 113.1 and 113.2 tags just confused as to how this works.

Ok so I think I figured out out maybe the 1 and 2 after the unit are tag types. Would that be correct?

Yes the 1, 2, 6, 7 etc are the types. A type 1 is usually valid unit wide. The type 2 is usually restricted: private land or part of a unit. Type 6 are regular doe/fawn tags usually valid unit wide (some are restricted) and type 7 are doe/fawn tags with some type of restriction: private land or part of a unit. Sometimes the season dates are different too. Be sure to check the actual regulations closely before applying.

If that's not confusing enough there are type 0 for muzzy, type 3 for whitetails, type 9 for archery and probably a few more. Good luck on this way too complicated state. On the plus side: the hunting is great!

Last edited:
It can be very overwhelming at first. I literally spent hours online trying to figure it out. What I ended up doing is print the state map of all the units. Then print a copy of the draw odds for each unit. Then I bought a book called wyoming atlas & gazeteer which shows public and private land with roads, towns, ect. Then spread it all out on the table and compare units you think you can draw with some access. Take good notes so you can go back and double check what you've been looking at.

Thank you all for the feed back much appreciated. Great idea with printing out the maps. I have never been out west and I'm not focusing as hard on pronghorn thought if mule deer and elk keep running in there also lol

1NCguy, I'm thinking about doing my first pronghorn hunt there next year as well. I'm only coming from 2 states away, but we should compare notes as we go along. My goal is meat in a hunt on public lands, not a trophy, so I'm planning on buck and doe.

1NCguy, I'm thinking about doing my first pronghorn hunt there next year as well. I'm only coming from 2 states away, but we should compare notes as we go along. My goal is meat in a hunt on public lands, not a trophy, so I'm planning on buck and doe.

Sounds good to me

I can highly recommend applying for a buck tag in the regular draw, then apply for a antelope doe tag in the leftover drawing that is held later in the early summer.
Most Eastern units for antelope have leftover doe tags.
Beware the leftover buck tags for antelope. There may be few bucks on public land to hunt in a unit offering leftovers.

If you want doe tags you should apply for them in the first draw with your buck tag.

Im planning my first WY hunt next year as well

I believe the unit I hunted for antelope allowed up to 4 doe tags. That probably varies by unit.
Lots of antelope tags in the leftover are reduced price compared to the regular draw. But if you want a doe tag in the same unit you will be hunting a buck in, then you should apply in the regular draw with your buck tag.
I only put in for doe tags to check the area out. I saw lots of Antelope, but only two bucks. That's why buck tags were in the leftover draw.
Lots of good Antelope units in Wyoming.

I believe the unit I hunted for antelope allowed up to 4 doe tags. That probably varies by unit.
Lots of antelope tags in the leftover are reduced price compared to the regular draw. But if you want a doe tag in the same unit you will be hunting a buck in, then you should apply in the regular draw with your buck tag.
I only put in for doe tags to check the area out. I saw lots of Antelope, but only two bucks. That's why buck tags were in the leftover draw.
Lots of good Antelope units in Wyoming.

It's true, the application fee is waived in the leftover draw, but the tag prices remain the same. Doe tags can be hard to get in the leftover though; Between my partner and I this year we had 11 applications in for doe tags (pronghorn and whitetail) in the leftover, and one was drawn.

You can apply for up to 2 doe tags in the initial drawing then pick up 2 additional tags in the leftover drawing for doe. Leftover buck tags, any antelope , can also be applied for in the left over draw for a total of 2 full price any antelope tags in addition to the doe tags.

Look into gohunt.com. You will spend alot of time coming up with the info you can purchase from them.

i am from the southeast also. with that being said the Wyoming system was all frontier jibberish to me when i first started investigating and it was intimidating. i took my first pronghorn hunt this year and was successful.
I spent a lot of time studying and asking questions . the members on this site and others were wonderful and help make my hunt a success . i can not thank them enough .

I also am trying to plan my first Wyoming antelope hunt. All the information is making me dizzy. I called the F&G biologist in a couple regions and they were very helpful. I was told if you don't have preference points, eastern Wyoming is easier to draw, but need to find access to public land through private land, which I'm finding challenging. Please let me know if you find any tips to navigate all the information.

Good luck and happy hunting

Look into units with HMAs. Hunter Management Areas usually have a ton of antelope and are private land that is open to the public to hunt. For some reason most people don't hunt them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back