Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

smokeless powder ignition problems

VAspeedgoat

Ok, I'm sure many of you have issues with smokeless muzzleloader but they are legal here and I hate cleaning so I have a savage and my boys have an SMI barrel on a handirifle frame. Hopefully some of you have one and can help.

After buying the SMI barrel it is apparent they really like 4198. More importantly for me they have some reduced loads for my boys. We had a missfire late last year and I didn't think much of it until a couple of other guys told me they had trouble with that powder as well. Some research lead me to duplex loads or magnum primers. I am hoping magnum primers works but wanted to hear any experiences you guys have.

I don't have any info for you but am interested in learning more also. I have a muzzleloader I am thinking of converting.

probably can't go wrong with a hotter primer. If it uses a 209 then I'd go Federal Magnum. I don't know anything about smokeless muzzleloader to be able to comment on powder choice. I'd go to either Savage or the barrel maker for that.

I'm usually a bit too harried in getting gear together for a hunt and/or in the moment of truth with the kids to think I'd want to try duplex loads. I'd give the mag primer a try.

As an aside, how do you guys like the SMI barrel? They are less than an hour from my house. I've thought about picking one up, but since they now allow us to use rifles on private land have decided against it for now.

I'm usually a bit too harried in getting gear together for a hunt and/or in the moment of truth with the kids to think I'd want to try duplex loads. I'd give the mag primer a try.

As an aside, how do you guys like the SMI barrel? They are less than an hour from my house. I've thought about picking one up, but since they now allow us to use rifles on private land have decided against it for now.

I really am impressed with them. I prefer the set up on the handi rifle to my savage. A 7/16 socket will take the breech plug out verses removing the trigger guard screw and using a special tool. They seem to be a lot less finicky. So far they have shot whatever load very well. I haven't spent time really trying to dial it in because they shoot good enough already. Dan Dewitt is the guy running the shop and is a wealth of knowledge. Buller and sabot selection depends on velocity. Which by the way I noticed all of their loads use a federal 209a primer. Never thought anything of that until now. For those of you as ignorant as me that is federals magnum primer. I have always liked the savage but it has always been temperamental. The SMI barrels are over all a better product. They charge a bit more for a contender frame. They will also rebarrel an existing rifle. Dan really likes ruger #1. Ive got his cell number and it is the only way to get him through the summer and fall. Let me know but I'd go with the rifle too. Wish they'd do that here, or make it a primitive season. The biggest bucks seem to be taken with muzzleloaders every year. If you aren't hunting then you will miss out on primed up love sick bucks.

I have a handi-rifle with a 357 Mag barrel that is the kid's starter rifle, so if I went the smokeless ml route I'd get a barrel for that. I still may as it'd probably be a better overall ML than buying one! But, here the ML is after the 2 week gun season. I've not hunted a whole lot during that time frame, but in the past I haven't had much luck at all then. Part of the reason I'm not in a hurry. Thanks for the info.

PS-I was just cleaning out some pm's and realized we've had this conversation via pm before. Whoops... ;)

I have a handi-rifle with a 357 Mag barrel that is the kid's starter rifle, so if I went the smokeless ml route I'd get a barrel for that. I still may as it'd probably be a better overall ML than buying one! But, here the ML is after the 2 week gun season. I've not hunted a whole lot during that time frame, but in the past I haven't had much luck at all then. Part of the reason I'm not in a hurry. Thanks for the info.

PS-I was just cleaning out some pm's and realized we've had this conversation via pm before. Whoops... ;)

Ha, I thought so, but thought maybe I had talked with another guy. The only mistake I made is apparently if it was a rimfire, the primer won't line up. But the sb1 or the sb2 frame will work for a muzzleloader.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back