Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Question For You Guys

Muley_Stalker

Here's a one question quiz. I asked this question to a warden once.

I always hunt for bear alone. The majority of the time I still hunt for them. Dogs and bait are illegal here. If the season is getting on and i've done no good still hunting I try calling them in. One of the problems of calling in bears alone is the huge blind spot behind me.

So, I asked the warden if I had my dog with me and tied him behind me to warn me if a bear was behind me would it be legal. He wouldn't bark but just give me a short whine to let me know something is behind me. (a cat more than a bear). He would always be on a leash and makes no noise at all except the soft whine. He wouldn't be used for any other part of the hunt.

What did the warden say?

a warden would have a hard time proving you were using a dog to hunt bear if all he sees is you and the dog on a leash.

a warden would have a hard time proving you were using a dog to hunt bear if all he sees is you and the dog on a leash.

What if the warden is at your truck when you, the dog and the dead bear arrive?

This reminds me of how states have different rules re carrying a personal defense handgun during archery season. You may need to argue your stance in front of the judge.

wyoboypt.......True, but what if he see's me sitting under a tree with my dog calling in bear? The dog is warning me a bear is behind me. Is he helping me hunt?

To be honest. I wasn't worried about the bear. I called in a mature cat once and I don't know why, but something told me to turn around and I saw the cat not 20ft away. Scared the crap out of me. I damn near shot it, but it finally took off when I stood up.

What if the warden is at your truck when you, the dog and the dead bear arrive?

This reminds me of how states have different rules re carrying a personal defense handgun during archery season. You may need to argue your stance in front of the judge.

That could be ackward. I would tell him the truth and hope for the best.

Sounds like you're just trying to circumvent the law by saying you're not using the dog to hunt.
It would be no different than walking around with a rifle after season is closed and saying you aren't actually hunting with it.

I explained the whole thing to the warden. What exactly am I trying to circumvent? You think it's the same as hunting off season?

I've hunted every year since 1949 and i've never gotten a ticket. That's why I ask wardens on grey areas. Man, you're way off base on this.

For the record. The warden said it would be alright to do it. I haven't done it, but it's an option.

I explained the whole thing to the warden. What exactly am I trying to circumvent? You think it's the same as hunting off season?

I've hunted every year since 1949 and i've never gotten a ticket. That's why I ask wardens on grey areas. Man, you're way off base on this.

For the record. The warden said it would be alright to do it. I haven't done it, but it's an option.

Dude, relax YOU ask a one question quiz then get testy when you don’t get the answer you want. Take a breath.

What kind of dog do you have? The Warden might see a difference between a hound and a Labrador.

Just a friendly pit bull. The local warden likes him. The reason the warden said yes was because the dog isn't doing anything to bring in the bear. That's all on me. Normally, the smart thing to do when calling in bears is to have two hunters who sit back to back to cover 360 degrees.

I really doubt i'd ever use my dog. I don't want him in the mountains during hunting seasons. I was sitting around talking to the warden (he's a friend) and thought i'd ask him. I just thought i'd ask you guys as a quiz. I never dreamed i'd get accused of doing something illegal.

Your warden friend might have been ok with it, he is your friend after all, but I bet that some would try to fine you for it. My thinking is that it is illegal to hunt bear with dogs where you are, yet you are in the woods, hunting bear, with a dog. I guess it really depends on how the law/regs are written. Is that dog giving you an advantage by alerting you to a bear that is sneaking up behind you?

Last edited:
How in the Hell did you teach that dog to softly whine at predators instead of barking? mtmuley

Your warden friend might have been ok with it, he is your friend after all, but I bet that some would try to fine you for it. My thinking is that it is illegal to hunt bear with dogs where you are, yet you are in the woods, hunting bear, with a dog. I guess it really depends on how the law/regs are written. Is that dog giving you an advantage by alerting you to a bear that is sneaking up behind you?

I thought of that and that may be the reason, or one of the reasons I never tried it. Also, my warden friend retired, so if I did have any advantage it's gone now.

I just thought it would be a fun question to answer. I wasn't looking for any particular answer. Just curious what you guys would think. If I was asked this. I'd probably say it's not legal. Any grey area like this should always be checked out. That's always kept me out of trouble.

Sounds like you're just trying to circumvent the law by saying you're not using the dog to hunt.
It would be no different than walking around with a rifle after season is closed and saying you aren't actually hunting with it.

I walk around with a gun all year long. doesnt make me a poacher. and a warden wouldnt do a thing about it even if he wanted to. im coyote hunting. im shooting prairie dogs. im shed hunting and carry a gun in case i see wolves or coyotes. ect ect ect

wyoboypt.......True, but what if he see's me sitting under a tree with my dog calling in bear? The dog is warning me a bear is behind me. Is he helping me hunt?

To be honest. I wasn't worried about the bear. I called in a mature cat once and I don't know why, but something told me to turn around and I saw the cat not 20ft away. Scared the crap out of me. I damn near shot it, but it finally took off when I stood up.

i guess that depends on what warden you get. the power trippers will write you one in a second. i was given a written warning last year for corner hopping. (not illegal here) she wrote that i was hunting without permission and in parentheses wrote corner hopping. 2 days later i recieved a call and email stating that the warning was void. it would have been dropped when i went to court anyway. imo hunting with dogs means using them to track or chase the animal. so having a dog with you is not hunting with a dog. but im not the game and fish or the law so . . .

That warden said it would be alright. The next three might decide you are using the dog to locate a bear which could be interpreted as using the dog to aid in your bear hunt and they might be the kind that like to write tickets. Just depends if it's worth it to you I guess. To me it's an option with potential risk but every single person could interpret it different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back