Wife's first turkey/big game animal

VAspeedgoat

My wife had always wanted to get a turkey. She mainly wanted a gobbler but would gladdly take a hen. Hens are legal in the fall in Va. She has gone deer hunting and would likely take a nice buck but not a small buck or a doe. There has been a few flocks of turkeys around this year and this morning she got her chance. After much debate over what the animals were through the fog, she decided it was a turkey and not the buzzard her husband thought it was. After a fairly long hike and stalk through a strip of woods she eased up over a down tree. After a brief moment to get her heart beat under control she had her gobbler. I had seen the blue head but didn't want to get her too nervous. I'm very proud of her, she has waited a long time and taken care of kids while I was out hunting or taking the older kids along.

Attachments

• image0000_zps69k7xj9l.jpg
    image0000_zps69k7xj9l.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4541_zpscywvmyag.jpg
    IMG_4541_zpscywvmyag.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4545_zpsbmeplwn2.jpg
    IMG_4545_zpsbmeplwn2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 161
Jealous! I still haven't tagged a turkey. Did she tip em over with a rifle?

Jealous! I still haven't tagged a turkey. Did she tip em over with a rifle?

Yep, I know some states don't allow fall hunting etc. But im glad va does. I got her a rem 7 in a .243 two years ago. The turkey was close to 100yds in a hayfield. We almost traded that gun for a weatherby camilla. I don't think that will happen now. Shot was pretty good, in behind the breast so no meat damaged. She later told me she was going to attempt a head shot. That would've been a story to tell.

Nicely done. (I forget that down south turkeys are considered big game. I had some enlightening conversations when I got my tags in NC and I didn't understand about that...)

Yep, I know some states don't allow fall hunting etc. But im glad va does. I got her a rem 7 in a .243 two years ago. The turkey was close to 100yds in a hayfield. We almost traded that gun for a weatherby camilla. I don't think that will happen now. Shot was pretty good, in behind the breast so no meat damaged. She later told me she was going to attempt a head shot. That would've been a story to tell.

That's awesome! I lived in PA for a few years and swore all the turkeys turned into squirrels when season opened. Are you saving it for thanksgiving?

That's awesome! I lived in PA for a few years and swore all the turkeys turned into squirrels when season opened. Are you saving it for thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is usually chili after a day of hunting or fire grilled deer steak while hunting. This year is definitely turkey. My wife does a nice cumin rub with bourbon gravy for turkey. Thinking of frying this one though. Any suggestions on injectable marinades?

Thanksgiving is usually chili after a day of hunting or fire grilled deer steak while hunting. This year is definitely turkey. My wife does a nice cumin rub with bourbon gravy for turkey. Thinking of frying this one though. Any suggestions on injectable marinades?

I like the butter and jalapeño injectable. The brand is Tony Chachere's. It's good on duck too.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back