Informative GPS and map resources?

Greenbear

I'm looking for advice for a good GPS and custom map software informational source. I have an old Garmin Geko 301(15 years old now!) that works for waypoints and the old breadcrumb trail map, but am wondering if the new ones are better in terms of accuracy (is it the unit or the satellites in orbit?). I would like to be able to utilize for custom maps and the like, but of course, want to spend as little money as possible ;)

Any good resources that you folks came across during your search to help someone who has been out of the market for sometime now?

Went to wyoming the first time this year. My buddy bought a garmin etrex 20 for about 200 bucks. I got the on x map chip for wyoming for about 170 bucks. Was very accurate. Shows roads, public land, private land, and also what unit you are in for deer antelope or elk. Definetly worth the cost.

Thanks for the suggestion. My prospective use is just to what you referred. Looking for something to keep me on track out west, in spots I have yet gone to visit. I was looking online over the last week- not extensively- just for what my little free time would allow. Garmin is a big player, but I didn't really come across to many other brands. I know about On X mainly through this site, but don't have first-hand experience. Back in the day, I would load up Topo! software into the unit. It seems that most programs are now downloaded from the www to a unit. Is On X the same? Any other software worth investigating? Thanks all.

If you are going GPS, all you need is a unit that will allow "custom maps" and an sd card. You can check Garmin's website for the model you're looking at and make sure. Memory won't be a problem.
OnX had a promo the last time I looked, buy the chip and get the web/phone side for a year. They now have import/export of tracks and waypoints so you can do some Internet Scouting and drop the stuff on your garmin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back