Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best pack for antler hauls?

wyoboypt

Has anyone tried the exo? Can it take 100 lbs of horn comfortably? Antlers are hard on packs. Will the exo stand up to a lot of abuse? What packs have you guys found that are sub 4 lbs and can take large loads of antler?

I've no doubt the EXO can withstand hauling antlers.

Steve stands behind his products like no other if an issue should ever arise.

Kifaru has done exceptional in hauling antlers. Knowing the best ways to attach them to your pack makes a big difference.

I have used a Cabelas Alaskan frame (just the frame) for years with a bunch of 1 inch cam straps and while I haven't had the magical 100lb load I have had quite a heap on there at once (4 sets and a few extras) is about the biggest I've had. I run a Stone Glacier for hunting but when it comes to loads of bone I turn to the old frame pack. The shelf and frame make it really nice to haul sheds. If I go for an extended period of time i'll strap a fanny pack or something on to carry water and a sandwich.

For me, a frame pack such as a Barney's is the best for heavy loads. I've used a couple different Kifaru frames with good success as well. The MR NICE didn't work too well. 100lbs is a lot of antler.

Attachments

• IMG_20170508_095729_667.jpg
    IMG_20170508_095729_667.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_20170412_111056_776.jpg
    IMG_20170412_111056_776.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_20160322_143616.jpg
    IMG_20160322_143616.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 559
For me, a frame pack such as a Barney's is the best for heavy loads. I've used a couple different Kifaru frames with good success as well. The MR NICE didn't work too well. 100lbs is a lot of antler.

jealous. would love to pick up some moose like that!

Now that's a load, I'd trade 100 shed days in Montana for a day like that. Awesome pictures Bambi!

The best pack for hauling antlers is on someone else...

IMG_5306 - Copy by squirrel2012, on Flickr

But the lashing/stacking techniques are at least equally important to the frame you secure them to, even if it means leaving the occasional onery unstackable antler there to be packed out on another day.

The load has to be tight to your back, or the leverage it achieves over you will make it terrible over a long haul.

This is not a preferred method, when a huge day came out of a simple hike with nothing but a day pack!

DSC01498 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

t back too late to edit so I will just add a pic. I can't understand why anyone would use a good pack for hauling antlers as they destroy everything they touch, and there is no such thing as a comfortable load of antlers in excess of 75#. This load came about 6-7 miles but was anything but comfortable, and went at 104# as I recall.

DSC01512 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

My best day ever for sheds was a couple years ago on a mule deer hunt. My SG Solo setup pretty much as a day pack for hunting ended up coming out pretty heavy but instead of packing out meat, I was packing out sheds. A lot of old ones, but I was happy with them, especially since I wasn't even shed hunting.

It's only mattered a couple times to me, but when you end up with a load, how you get them stacked in there is critical. I didn't have any extra straps or anything on this, just my standard compression straps on the SG.

Untitled by naathan2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back