Deer Hanging Question

jtm307

If day temps are 40's and night temps are 20's, how long can I hang a deer safely?

You are fine in that temperature range as no bacteria will grow, but you would not want the meat to freeze, thaw, and then freeze again.
Cheers
Richard

A week easy. University of Wyoming has some really good info on this. Drs Ray Field and Warrie Means put out some great data on temps, hang times, etc.

Do I have enough posts to stir the pot? Lol. IMO, aging is worthless with game. I let it sit on ice for 24 hrs to let rigor mortis vanish, then vacuum seal and freeze. I used to age, but after talking to butchers, gave up on it. I never noticed a difference in taste or tenderness. To each their own though

I'm not a fan of extended hang time.
A couple days to let it cool and firm up, then butcher. When you leave it hang too long it gets a real hard crust on exterior which is tough and has to be trimmed off, wasting meat.

There was a really good Exo Mountain podcast with Hank Shaw title "How to stop abusing venison" where he addressed a number of questions such as this. I was surprised the number of myths that many of of have heard our whole lives that are causing us to damage our wild game meat. I highly recommend having a listen. I listened to it on my way home from the elk hunt and need to go back and take a few notes.

https://exomountaingear.com/76/

Do I have enough posts to stir the pot? Lol. IMO, aging is worthless with game. I let it sit on ice for 24 hrs to let rigor mortis vanish, then vacuum seal and freeze. I used to age, but after talking to butchers, gave up on it. I never noticed a difference in taste or tenderness. To each their own though

I'm in this boat as well, I can't tell any difference

There is actually scientific data showing an increase in tenderness with increase hang time. Unlike beef, which has marbling, hang time does not produce he “aged” flavor because wild game does not have the marbled fat in it to oxidize.

I've read a few articles and that seems to be the consensus ( aging works). I've just never noticed a difference. Maybe it has to do with the fact that those were deer shot in NC. No fat on those deer whatsoever and they were feeding on crops. I never tried it on mulies or coues shot in Az and Co, all of which had a decent fat layer on them.

I've read a few articles and that seems to be the consensus ( aging works). I've just never noticed a difference. Maybe it has to do with the fact that those were deer shot in NC. No fat on those deer whatsoever and they were feeding on crops. I never tried it on mulies or coues shot in Az and Co, all of which had a decent fat layer on them.

Age of the animal makes a considerable difference. A 1-3 year old animal won't gain nearly the benefit a 6-10 year old one will.

Are you saying I only kill small animals!!!!!! You must have been spying on me lol. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, yes most of my harvests have been younger. Never thought of that. Good point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back