Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Political Opposition Firm Investigating a Hunt Talker

Ben Lamb

http://womwe.blogspot.com/2017/11/opposition-research-making-bullets-in.html

Opposition Research

Opposition research (oppo) is defined as the practice of "collecting information on a political opponent or other adversary that can be used to discredit or otherwise weaken them." Oppo is used to refer to the collection of information, as well as how it is utilized, for example, negative campaigning.

As I am not a candidate, I am all the more curious why I am being investigated.

Around the 15th of October, I received a letter from Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks that my hunting and fishing license history in Montana had been requested. The person requesting my hunting & fishing license history is Naji Filali, a partner in Percipient Strategies LLC. Percipient Strategies LLC is based in Washington D.C., a new company whose website was registered in July 2016. Their website states they are, "Started and run by rising political researchers from the Republican National Committee..."

Concerning Filali, their website states he worked, "As an opposition researcher at the Republican National Committee and America Rising." This is confirmed by the Federal Election Commission website for the Republican National Committee,Itemized Disbursements, Line #: 21B. America Rising is a political action committee (PAC) that produces opposition research on Democratic Party members, based in Virginia.

So why would a Washington D.C. political opposition research firm be investigating an average citizen in a smaller state? And why my hunting license information? Is this an attempt to dig up dirt to discredit research I put out on this newsletter? Is it related to research on Senator Daines and DOI Sec. Zinke on the Crazy Mountains; or related to Senate candidate Troy Downing's FWP citations (Omnibus Hearing at the Gallatin County Justice Court is scheduled for November 15, 2017, at 1:30pm), whose campaign manager is Zinke's wife, Lolita Zinke? I was waiting to see what Downing's recent FEC filings showed for disbursements, to see if Percipient Strategies LLC was listed (not at this time).

Back in March 2017, I put out a newsletter on Rick Berman, the D.C. lobbyist with the campaign to label hunting and angling groups as "Green Decoys", especially many groups from Montana. Berman and Will Coggin targeted Back Country Hunters & Anglers, Montana Wildlife Federation, Montana Sportsmen Alliance, Trout Unlimited, Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, Helena Hunters & Anglers, Public Land/Water Access Association, etc. This is a dark money campaign, attempting to marginalize grassroots conservation advocates and interfere with our legislation.

I called the Republican National Committee to see if they actually helped to create, support, endorse or contract with Percipient Strategies LLC, because anyone can write whatever they like on their websites, most people don't bother to fact check. I was asked to send my question in an email, so they could make sure and get it to the right people. I did so on the 17th, I have yet to receive any sort of response from the RNC.

My concern has been the political targeting of conservation activists who advocate for our public trust, our public lands and public access, by a political party whose National and Montana State party platforms still include a selling/transferring of our public lands to the states.

As for myself, I am just an average citizen, they can try and find whatever dirt they like. What are they going to find on me? That I used to be a registered Republican and became an Independent? Or that I used to be an NRA member and didn't renew my membership many years ago because of their fearmongering and politics? What they find, or if they find anything is immaterial; I believe it is the intentional targeting of public trust advocates, not just candidates, to aid in their privatization agenda of our natural resources. Perhaps they thought they could find something to leverage, perhaps to silence me/newsletter? How many more conservation advocates are they digging into?

So here is my Montana hunting & fishing license history, showing Naji Filali's inquiry. You will see a gap from 2009-2011 from a ripped rotator cuff, pec and arm muscle injuries and a birth year typo. Scandalous reading here, be warned. ;)

If you'd like to register your strong opposition to political operatives investigating Montana citizens, or citizens of any state, feel free to call the Republican National Committee and register your disapproval. 202-863-8500

If you'd rather call Rep Gianforte, Senator Daines or Secretary Zinke, I'd be happy to find the best number for you to reach them. This is political intimidation of a citizen. It is the stuff that tinpot dictators do. It should be unacceptable to all of us as Americans and freedom loving individuals.

Maybe it's simply opposition to your stance on land and conservation issues, why would you assume that it's some kind of right-wing conspiracy? Sounds to me like you're listening to Hillary too much (she always likes to blame her failures on right-wing conspiracies too). Or maybe you're just trying to say that politicians can't always be trusted with a public trust (like public lands)?

And no, you're aren't just an average guy, you are a political activist with an agenda so that makes you a reasonable target for any opposing political group, it also means that some of us don't have any empathy for your concerns.

Maybe it's simply opposition to your stance on land and conservation issues, why would you assume that it's some kind of right-wing conspiracy? Sounds to me like you're listening to Hillary too much (she always likes to blame her failures on right-wing conspiracies too). Or maybe you're just trying to say that politicians can't always be trusted with a public trust (like public lands)?

And no, you're aren't just an average guy, you are a political activist with an agenda so that makes you a reasonable target for any opposing political group, it also means that some of us don't have any empathy for your concerns.

I'm not the one being investigated. I wouldn't complain if that were the fact. I'd take it as a sign of being effective and that my enemies fear me. I'm cool with what I've signed up for and expect to be attacked. Most often its by people like you, who appear anonymously and disappear when things get real. This is former RNC operatives who have hung their own shingle out to capitalize on the swamp wanting to keep their crony capitalism in place. That's what you are defending. Party over country can kiss my ass.

I'm not the one being investigated. I wouldn't complain if that were the fact. I'd take it as a sign of being effective and that my enemies fear me. I'm cool with what I've signed up for and expect to be attacked. Most often its by people like you, who appear anonymously and disappear when things get real. This is former RNC operatives who have hung their own shingle out to capitalize on the swamp wanting to keep their crony capitalism in place. That's what you are defending. Party over country can kiss my ass.

Ouch, testy aren't we?

Is this info not public information? I assume it is, since it's being released. If it is, oh well. If it isn't, it should be oiff limits.

For those claiming to be involved in a "war", Im suprised something like this would bother them. Maybe they aren't ready for the "war", eh?

Last edited:
Ouch, testy aren't we?

Is this info not public information? I assume it is, since it's being released. If it is, oh well. If it isn't, it should be oiff limits.

Nope. Just 2 drinks in to a Friday after a month of no booze. ;)

Kat and any citizen at all, regardless of political affiliation shouldn't be subject to political intimidation regardless of party. I'd say the same thing if Dems were unfairly targeting one individual.

Right or wrong I believe opposition research is a fact of life for every group whether Republican or Democrat or what ever your position is. With the information available on the internet on anybody what would one expect. When your in opposition of another you must learn everything you can about that person and find their weak spot. It's human nature to try to learn everything you can and then determine what strategy to take. Obviously the person being researched is being effective and considered a threat to their position. On the plus side if they find nothing of interest then that person is even more of a threat and may cause them to come to the table and negotiate. So in the long run it could be a positive thing. But that still doesn't mean it doesn't piss you off but it's a fact of life in todays world.
But hey that's just my opinion.
Dan

Nope. Just 2 drinks in to a Friday after a month of no booze. ;)

Kat and any citizen at all, regardless of political affiliation shouldn't be subject to political intimidation regardless of party. I'd say the same thing if Dems were unfairly targeting one individual.

Well "war" is usually a nasty thing, and when you declare you're in one, you might want to prepare accordingly, no?

Or maybe crawl down off the crucifix and back down on the rhetoric.....

The problem is that political parties are again investigating individuals exercising their right to engage in the public process. That's intimidation. It keeps citizens from being active members of society and keeps people from being more involved in the democratic process.

For former RNC people to be investigating Kat because she's simply uncovering the warts on certain candidates is unacceptable. It's something that we thought was a bad idea years ago be it the Gestapo, KGB or Joseph McCarthy. Americans should be free to voice their opinions and their positions without intimidation of political party.

Well "war" is usually a nasty thing, and when you declare you're in one, you might want to prepare accordingly, no?

Or maybe crawl down off the crucifix and back down on the rhetoric.....

Citizens shouldn't be casualties in a political war. Get off your partisan soapbox and recognize that.

I joined this forum because I'm a public land user who prefers to hunt self guided on public lands, I've been doing that for well over 50 years. I thought everyone on this forum would be of the same mindset, guess I was wrong.

Public land owners who have the misfortune of being "governed" by Montana legislators should be naming their babies after KatQanna. She has my back, as a nonresident federal land owner. Mad respect!

Citizens shouldn't be casualties in a political war. Get off your partisan soapbox and recognize that.

Even when they, themselves, declare the war? You can't have cake and eat it too.

Would the oppo research be ok if it was being outsourced to Russia by democrats? I guess the target determines the whether it's acceptable.

Even when they, themselves, declare the war? You can't have cake and eat it too.

Would the oppo research be ok if it was being outsourced to Russia by democrats? I guess the target determines the whether it's acceptable.

It crosses a line when parties and candidates go from researching opposition on candidates and parties to individual citizens.

And your example of the Steele dossier is fake news. It was initiated by Republicans who wanted Trump out of the primaries. Swing again, my friend.

Hold my beer....

My friend you may not see the irony in your quote...but I do.

I wish in that request for a private citizen, there was justification given as to why it was made. Will you be following up on why you were requested?

The RNC and Filali have stooped to a new level of low-budget...as if that's any surprise.

They must feel they are on shaky ground to be pulling something like this, which they really are. The RNC is no friend to sportsmen, conservation, science, wildlife, MY public lands, etc.

It only makes sense they are going to attack those that expose them for what they are. Funny how the facts upset these clowns.

Keep on keeping on Kat...you have them on the ropes.

Hold my beer....

My friend you may not see the irony in your quote...but I do.

I make no claims to perfection and fully expect to be proved a fool.

But I'm also man enough to admit when I am wrong and be accountable for my actions. I know I'm guilty of that I oppose, but I'm tired of the games. Aren't you?

Maybe I should just keep sober and not get all wound up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back