Pulk Poles for hauling elk on a sled?

RobG

Have any of you used these pulk poles on a sled for heavy (300#) loads on a sled? I normally use a heavy duty sled (like this) to pull a boned elk or full deer out and it works ok, but having poles attached to a wastebelt makes it far easier. They give directions on how to build the poles out of fiberglass poles, but at $120 it might be worth it if they give enough stability.

A regular cross country skiing sled works extremely well but they are very expensive.
rg

I got a chance to try these poles from skipulk.com yesterday hauling out about 180# of elk and gear. The poles attach to a waste belt and make the job much easier. It turned out that a 5/16 x 3 1/2" PTO pin worked well enough to attach them to my Mystery Ranch frame without modification. After using the poles I think they are the best $120 I've spent. When crossed they even controlled the sled on side hills. If $120 is too much the skipulk.com site has instructions on how to build them yourself.

I use this sled a lot, but pulling it with a rope is more work than necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_1133.jpg
    IMG_1133.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Please tell me, is that really easier than putting it on your back? It looks like you have a great pack there.

Please tell me, is that really easier than putting it on your back? It looks like you have a great pack there.
It is WAY easier. I've done many elk using this sled. You think you can pack out 180# in one trip? On uphill sections it is obviously a bit more work, but still doable. The poles make it even easier.

One thing: on steeper downhills you really need a break of some sorts, one slip and the sled will take you for a dangerous ride. The commercial sled I used years ago didn't have this problem, maybe it was the stiffer poles or the bottom just had more friction. On downhills my partner walked behind me with a rope tied to the sled to keep the sled from pushing me downhill. Another trick I have heard of is to tie a rope with knots in it and hang it off the front so it drags under the sled (which is probably safer in case your partner slips). I haven't tried that yet, but you want to deal with steep downhill sections one way or another.

Last edited:
Rob, That is an awesome setup! We used some pretty heavy duty pulks with solid frames that connected to waste belts in winter warfare school and when training with the Norwegian Army, and we carried a ton of gear on them moving by XC skis pretty comfortably. Your setup looks like the perfect one for hunting though.

One thing we did was have an arrestor rope on the back that your buddy could grab onto when you were going to head down hill to control your descent. We also had a pair of rope that another guy wore that could be hook to the main pullers belt to help him up the inclines.

I have rented a ski pulk - used it when the kids were little and toured with them. I've always thought that it would work well for packing an elk. The arrestor rope is a great addition.

The terrain looked perfect for it as well.

Thanks - and congrats on elk meat.

Yes, the arrestor rope on the rear works well, and we used it to double the pull when pulling up hill. Another option mentioned on the site is "to attach a loop of plastic chain to the front two corners of your pulk. Tie a line to middle of it and run it through a loop on your poles to your waist band. By bringing in the line the chain loop gets suspended over the front of your pulk. When you need to brake just let the line go loose and the chain runs beneath the pulk slowing you down." This method is probably the best in case your partner slips.

It handles sidehills pretty well without assistance, at least in the deeper snow. I did a sidehill much steeper than the last photo. The poles flex a lot, but kept it tracking straight. You want to keep the center of gravity as low as possible to keep it from tipping. After rereading the instructions it would have worked even better had I used the included velcro strip to keep the poles together at the crossing point. Installing fins on the sled would also help, but the Emsco sled has deep enough ridges on the bottom that I haven't had much of a problem on sidehills in the past.

The poles are made out of 1/2" fiberglass electric fence poles. They are flexible enough that you won't get hurt in a fall. He describes the evolution of the poles here. and gives excellent instructions if you want to build them yourself. He says the parts will run $70-90 for the latest design, but for $120 I decided to buy them assembled. Attaching them to the sled was easy.

Here's my setup. Threading the rope through the holes provided tiedown points and the bungee cords are used to tie down the gear.

IMG_1156.jpg

Last edited:
I can see where that would work just fine in the right terrain. Plenty of snow, not much big brush, no rocky terrain, no thick trees and not too steep.
I just wish our elk would hang out in country like that.

I can see where that would work just fine in the right terrain. Plenty of snow, not much big brush, no rocky terrain, no thick trees and not too steep.

I agree. With the right circumstances I think this would work great...but in reality no elk I have killed would have been easier to get out this way vs on your back. Multiple trips doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. This time it was pretty easy country, but I've probably done a half dozen elk and a dozen deer in a variety of terrain using the sled without the poles, generally alone and often without snow. Always in one trip. I've also done many elk on my back and there is no comparison.

On snow it isn't much work at all to pull and the poles make it easier to control the sled and give your arms a break. Dragging an entire elk on the sled is less work than a single trip with 1/4 of it on your back. Even on dry ground it is easier than dragging out a whole deer, but depending on the circumstances maybe more work than boning it in the field and packing it out on the return trip. You also have to count the trip back to the truck to get the sled.

It was a bit of a pain one time navigating through dense sagebrush, but less work than the four trips that would have been required if I did it on my back. One thing I've found is to throw all the meat into a heavy canvas bag if going through brush, otherwise the branches will catch on the game bags and tear them up.

It wouldn't work well trying to do a whole animal up hill for long distances, but maybe it would be comparable if you divided it up into several trips like you would on your back.

Sam was 12 when he did this, back when he had enough hair to do a man-bun...

IMG_3706.jpg

Thanks for the insight, and instructions, Rob. It's nice to hear first-hand experience too. We have lots of 1/2" electric fence poles and hardware. On my list before next hunting season is a nice, heavy-duty sled. A guy I've been trapping with lately has a similar setup to yours for hauling his traps and supplies. Just last week he put pulks on his sled and got rid of the ropes.
Until then, this will be used in deep enough snow.

IMG_4231.jpg

Of course, lack of snow hasn't stopped me from operating these death machines in the past...

Never say never.

I can tell somebody is an engineer.

Greenhorn I think your dreams of loading an elk whole in your truck can be made via this thread. Just need someone to show how to get the whole elk in the bed of the Pickup once brought to it.

Greenhorn I think your dreams of loading an elk whole in your truck can be made via this thread. Just need someone to show how to get the whole elk in the bed of the Pickup once brought to it.
Ha! A rancher showed my how you put it in a heavy duty sled, then 3-4 guys pick the whole thing up and slide it into the pickup bed.

PS... I looked through my pics and counted 9 elk I've taken out on a sled, probably that many on my back, and one on a game cart. I'd rather do it on my back than a game cart. On dry ground I'll continue to pack out on my back if for no other reason than to not leave orange plastic curlies on every rock.

I carry a come along in case the opportunity ever presents itself.

I used a sled once, a cheap red torpedo and it saved me 2 extra trips (3 miles one way). I got that elk out in 2 trips total, first carrying the head and loins. All the rest on the sled, boned out. Worked slick. I could have use that sled a couple other times, but had folks with me, with packs.

2009 elk.jpg2009elksled.jpg

Last edited:
Like I said, with the right terrain it would work great. The 9 elk hunts I have been directly involved with we would not have been able to use a sled like that due to the terrain.
I'm not bad-mouthing it and I'm glad you found something that works for you.
Here is an example.
DSCN1242.jpg

Meh, that doesn't look bad if you pick your route. Maybe you ought to find a girl to help you. ;)

IMG_1130.jpg

This picture was taken after we had traveled about a mile. The truck was on the ridge behind my left shoulder so we had 1.5 miles to go down a really steep hill. We really could have benefited from a braking solution. We tried tying a branch so it would drag under the sled, and that worked well until the branch broke. It was after that I learned about using ropes with knots in them to provide drag, but I haven't needed to do that yet. On this trip we put the meat in our packs and made two trips to bring it back up that ridge in the background. My father in law was carrying the antlers.

I think I'd rather use the rope handle instead of the poles and waist belt to navigate through really steep or thick stuff. When steep because if you slip being strapped to a 200# sled careening down the hill is a bad idea, and when thick because you can guide the sled around obstacles easier on a short rope.

I've packed several elk out of this area on my back with a partner and using the sled was far easier, although on steep slopes you are admittedly taking a risk.

FWIW, this was where I had my near death experience when I had the less-than-brilliant idea to ride on top of the elk for the last 100 yards of the hill.

After looking through my pictures I was surprised to learn I've used sleds on 11 elk.

Last edited:
Sleds work with Moose as well. This was the last trip to the truck, not all of the meat but a good portion of it. The sleds definitely saved some miles. Not ski-pulk's by any means, but effective enough.

M85GWuy.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back