Yeti GOBOX Collection

280 ai

BigHornTD

Looking for help from the rifleheads within this forum.
I am seriously looking into purchasing the Kimber Ascent in a 280 AI. I have spent a lot of time researching this rifle and this load. For my hunting needs it seems to fit my needs perfectly.
I have read past comments and posts in regards to this rifle and load and they all seem positive.
I am leaning towards the Kimber Ascent in due to weight reduction.

Thanks for your help.

A 5 lb. 10 oz. braked rifle that will push a 160 grain 3000 fps....add a pound and a quarter for scope & ammo. Lace em up and go.

So far the only complaint I've heard about the Kimber Ascent (including most other Kimber models) in 280ai is that you run out of magazine room to take advantage of loading bullets long enough. That is basically the only thing that has prevented me from owning one.

Last edited:
Love the .280 AI also. Pushing 140 gr. Nosler Partition with IMR7828SSC at 3230 fps! Elk one shot 450 yards, whitetail buck one shot 200 yards, antelope doe one shot 280 yards.

I had a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter barreled with a Shilen stainless match barrel but to 24" and the taper roughly of the standard 270/280 Winchester barrel.

If I bought one I would also look hard at the Montana Rifle Company X2. I really like the looks of them and have heard good reports as well. Best of luck.

My hunting partner shoots a Kimber in 280AI in Classic Select. He loves it (other than cost and locating ammo comparatively) and it shoots very well. On personal observation......although I have seen the ballistics on the round and know what it SHOULD compare to, I have found he simply doesn't have the knockdown power of my '06. All of the big game I have seen him shoot with it (other than a small doe) have required follow up shots (and his initial shots have been on target). Only anecdotal but something to consider.

My hunting partner shoots a Kimber in 280AI in Classic Select. He loves it (other than cost and locating ammo comparatively) and it shoots very well. On personal observation......although I have seen the ballistics on the round and know what it SHOULD compare to, I have found he simply doesn't have the knockdown power of my '06. All of the big game I have seen him shoot with it (other than a small doe) have required follow up shots (and his initial shots have been on target). Only anecdotal but something to consider.

For comparison, I've never needed a follow up with my 280ai. Or any caliber for that matter when I used the correct bullet for the game hunted and put the bullet where it needs to be.

For comparison, I've never needed a follow up with my 280ai. Or any caliber for that matter when I used the correct bullet for the game hunted and put the bullet where it needs to be.

I agree. My Kimber Montana 280ai kills very efficiently.

Back