youth caliber

I've got 3 youth hunters. Both my daughters carry .243's and son carries a 7-08. All work well for deer and elk.

Have 2 daughters that hunt. Older is almost 13 shoots a 243 and right now doesn't want to try anything bigger. Younger just turned 11 shot her first deer last year with 243 and her deer this year with her 6.5 Grendel. Younger is quite a bit smaller but will try any of my rifles I will let her shoot. While older will ask is it loud does it kick. I'm sure she could shoot bigger but will wait until she says she's ready. All kids are different and you best not push them because if it hurts and isn't fun they aren't going to want to go.

What guns has he shot? How big is he? Do you reload or is ammo cost a concern? Lots of great rifles for kids today compared to when I was growing up. I like the 243 and 6.5's (my kids do too) but will probably get a 6.5 Creedmoor and 7-08 youth rifle in the future when after larger game. Not because its needed just because I want to give my kids options I didn't have. My younger daughter has an elk tag and is going to use her 6.5 if we get a chance. I have no worries about it doing the job if she puts it in the vitals. If she doesn't it really wouldn't matter what she's shooting.

Last edited:
I'm on the 7mm08 bandwagon. I had my son shoot the Remington reduce recoil loads when we target shot, then made sure the regular 140 gr load shot the same (pretty close) and had him use those for hunting. Worked really well for him

Seems like everyone agrees on calibers but I think it's also important to get a rifle that is heavy enough. I can see wanting to give a youth or person of smaller stature a small light rifle that will be easy to carry, but having something of moderate weight with a decently long barrel will also greatly reduce recoil and muzzle blast. I would give a youth a 9.5-10 lb .270 with a 24 inch barrel way before a 5.5 lb 6.5 creedmore or .243 with a short barrel.
I disagree with the idea longer barrel and more weight. IMO, there are easier/better ways to mitigate muzzle blast. A rifle that long and heavy is just tougher for a kid to handle, whether that be carrying it over hill and dale or just getting in on a rest, or out of the case.

My 14 year old daughter is recoil sensitive. I won a .308 Browning Xbolt from go hunt and let her try it out with 150 gr. Nosler BT ammo. She said it wasn't to bad. I am going to let her use that and hopefully next year she will see what it can do on elk.

IMO, there are easier/better ways to mitigate muzzle blast.

Such as? Honestly I think a lot of people these days are getting sucked in to the super light mountain rifle/ ultralight synthetic craze to the determent of their shooting. An extra 3lbs makes a world of difference shooting and really isn't that big of a deal when your walking around.

Son killed two WTs at 6 with a single shot .223.
At 7, he moved up to a Ruger Compact .308. That year, he killed 9 WTs (DMAP tags). We started with reduced recoil loads. Mid-season, I gave him regular loads and he never noticed.
At around 14, he got a 257 WBY Magnum.
At 19, he’s killed around 80 WTs, a few with bow, but most with rifle. Also killed a couple of antelope. He never complained about recoil, but he just loved killing deer so much.

I think what might work well for you is .25-06, 6.5, .308, 7mm-08, or .260. Just make sure the kid is real good with a scoped 22.

Such as? Honestly I think a lot of people these days are getting sucked in to the super light mountain rifle/ ultralight synthetic craze to the determent of their shooting. An extra 3lbs makes a world of difference shooting and really isn't that big of a deal when your walking around.
Ear plugs, muffs, load selection to start with. With both my 10yo and 7yo, noise is a bigger problem than the physical recoil and more so during practice sessions. A 10# rifle is almost 20% of my youngest's body weight. #3 is a big deal for him in safely handling, carrying, or moving a firearm. Even is for my 10yo who is big for his age, just not as big of a deal.

How many kids have you taken to the range/hunting and seen better results from a 10# rifle vs. a 7#?

Huge fan of the .243, I started out with grandpa's old lever action .357 and loved it. I was limited in range, but man that thing had little to no recoil and gave plenty of deer dirt naps. I then graduated to the .243 and for a youth hunter that needs that confidence in their shooting, .243 is the way to go. When a youth hunter is expecting recoil their accuracy is going to suffer, once their accuracy suffers it's a snowball of problems and then they'll lose interest. Make sure the kiddo has a round he can handle and handle with accuracy and confidence, once he has that confidence in himself and his shooting, he'll want to go out more and more.

I started my oldest who is now 24 with a 25-06. He did well with it and it is his go to gun to this day. Both of my younger two boys started with a .243 and after a couple years moved on to a .270.

Thanks everyone,I have some thinking to do.He has shot one deer with a 20 Guage slug gun.He also killed a nice long beard when he was 8 with a 20 guage.And he's shot 22s a bit to get use to a scope and shooting.He's fairly big for his age,5ft 105lbs.I'm thinking the reduced recoil loads make sense.The 243 I worry wouldn't be a good elk choice.I forgot about a 7-08,and am leaning that direction.I'll definitely make sure I find a rifle that fits him

Ear plugs, muffs, load selection to start with. With both my 10yo and 7yo, noise is a bigger problem than the physical recoil and more so during practice sessions. A 10# rifle is almost 20% of my youngest's body weight. #3 is a big deal for him in safely handling, carrying, or moving a firearm. Even is for my 10yo who is big for his age, just not as big of a deal.

How many kids have you taken to the range/hunting and seen better results from a 10# rifle vs. a 7#?

100% agree with ear protection and load selection. But those withstanding I have seen my nephew, niece, and wife shoot much better with a .270 that weighs around 8.5-9lbs with a shorten stock and my .264 at 9.5-10lbs than with the .243 mountain rifle of their dads that is sub 6lbs. When I say shoot better I mean both their reaction to the shot and grouping.

My wife in particular seems to shoot a heavier rifle better when hunting. A heavier rifle just moves less then you rest it on a pack or shooting sticks.

It doesn't need to be a behemoth but ultra light is not the way to go... a kimber ascent in 7mm-hunttalk seems like a recipe for flinching in my mind.

Just like everything, situation dictates. 7-08 is awesome but it all depends on all the conditions; animal that’s being shot, where (type of country), ranges expected, size of the child, experience of the child, to mention a few. My grandson is going to give it a go this weekend. He’s only 5 but he already shoots well.
He will be using. 218bee. Super small caliber but very capable in the rt conditions. It’s in a Winchester 43 so it fits him well, shots r only going to be under 50yds, on a good rest. N the deer r south/central Texas whitetails; does, at most 80/90lbs dressed. So, in my opinion, like I said in the beginning, situation dictates.

Thanks everyone,I have some thinking to do.He has shot one deer with a 20 Guage slug gun.He also killed a nice long beard when he was 8 with a 20 guage.And he's shot 22s a bit to get use to a scope and shooting.He's fairly big for his age,5ft 105lbs.I'm thinking the reduced recoil loads make sense.The 243 I worry wouldn't be a good elk choice.I forgot about a 7-08,and am leaning that direction.I'll definitely make sure I find a rifle that fits him

7-08 with reduced recoil loads and a rifle that fits him sounds like the way to go. Good luck with your search and try and get his hands on as many rifles as you can and pick what he likes. I have as much fun researching and shopping for rifles for my kids as I do for me.

While I doubt I'd sweat my son carrying a 243, the 708 would be a good choice as well. I went with the 243 because, at the time, only .243" and .308" calibers were legal on private land in Indiana. With some judicious load selection, I cannot imagine a 708 causing him any trouble considering he's handled a 20gr slug successfully.

My wife hates recoil. She has shot a lot as an MP but hated the recoil even of the .308. I got her a .243 a fe2 years back and sho loves it so put me in that pile for starter rifles. Color, nobody mentions color. My wife has a muddy buddy stock. I don’t recommend it for 11 year old boys 😳

As for elk, generations of kids in Montana have turfed their first Elk with it, and a lot of seconds and thirds and more, too..

I started out with a .243 when I was 10. I was shooting a 7 mag by the time I was 13 and haven't looked back. Recoil has never bothered me. My wife and daughter are both recoil sensitive and they shoot a .243. I would start him out with something light and move him up when he's ready. There's always a market to sell used youth rifles. My dad sold our .243 when I moved up to a 7 mag and my brother moved up to a .270.

No need to overthink it. Have him put a few hundred rounds down range in short action caliber "X" and he'll be worlds ahead of most hunters, young or old. A few chamberings can do that and be easy on the shoulder, probably nothing bigger than a .264 hole, save for light mono's in a 7-08.

My son is using an ar in 6.8 spc. It's an SBR with a can built for ground bling hunting. I have a savage hog Hunter in 308 that I am going to rebarrel into a 243 for him. It will make a fine medium game rifle. When he gets to the elk stage he can use my 7 mag or grandpas 300 or 338. I figured the 243 would be a great caliber for deer and antelope and he can pick his big gun when he gets older. Funny thing is I have a bunch of rifles but I always grab my 7 mag my grandpa bought me when I was 14

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back