youth caliber

mixedbag

I know it's been asked many times before but here goes again.I want to go buy a new rifle for my 10 year old,almost 11.I was thinking a 308 or maybe a 270.I want it mainly for whitetail,but he will be hunting with me in the next few years out west for elk,deer,antelope.So I need a gun that can shoot good at a distance but still pack a punch.I don't want a hard kicking rifle.He will need to enjoy shooting and not be worried about the kick.Or are there things I could do to lighten the kick.I'd consider other calibers as most of you guys know more about firearms then I do

IMHO, 270’s are hard chargers for a pre teen. My default cal for that age is .243. The .270 or .308 are logical milestones as he matures.

7mm-08 or .308 Win. are in my opinion much more forgiving than say .270win or 30-06. Hope you find and decide on something for him.

IMHO, 270’s are hard chargers for a pre teen. My default cal for that age is .243. The .270 or .308 are logical milestones as he matures.

This, .243 is a great cartridge for someone that age especially if its only for deer sized game. I've shot them with 243 up to 7 mag. The deer I shot with the 243 were just as dead. Still one of my favorite guns to hunt with. Maybe the 7-08 if he's chasing something bigger otherwise I'd stick with the 243.

Another choice I think you should research is reduced recoil loads for the 308 (ie. remington managed recoil ammo). Start him out with them and as he matures and gets accustomed to the rifle you can change to more powerful loads. Saves you some money maybe from having to upgrade to awhole new rifle and lets him become very familiar with the rifle.

My son is 11, he’s skinny weighing about 82lbs. Last year he used an old ruger 7x57, I started out with that gun when I was his age. It’s just a small, handy rifle. He also shoots my 270, which weighs 1.5 lbs more. He subjectively states “the recoil is the same dad.” If we’re hunting somewhere I know shots are close we take the 7x57, if they might be longer we take the 270. FWIW, my wife prefers the 7x57. The 7x57 is very much similar to the 7mm-08.

Hard to beat the 260 Remington or 7mm-08. Actually a 25-06 using 110 gr. Accubonds or 120 gr. Partitions would work well on deer, antelope, and elk. I'm a huge 280 Remington fan and it doesn't beat you up too much either. More traditional good one would be a 7mm Mauser or 7x57 whatever you want to call it.

I started out with a 243 when I was 11. I shot a bunch of deer and antelope with it along with a couple elk at 12 and 13. I "upgraded" to the 270 for a couple season, then to the 7mag a couple years after along with about a dozen other calibers.

The 243 is quite versatile for medium game and easy to shoot, IMO. The 308 is a good choice as well, but kicks quite a bit more. the 7-08 and 260/creed and 257 bridge the gap. I'm going to be in the same boat in a few more years. Planning on starting out with a 223, and work up from there. Doubt there will be much big game hunting sans a blacktail or two until he's big enough for a larger caliber.

With a soft recoil pad and a properly fitting stock, the 243 is very easy to shoot.

My girl, Hunting Princess, is shooting the Hornady custom lite rounds out of her 7mm-08 and us fine with that round. She is 13 and this is her first centerfire round. I think the venerable HT-08 is pretty darn versatile :)

I’ll throw in another vote for the 7mm-08. I got one for my oldest son and he took two whitetail does at age 9 with no complaints. He shoots it well off a LeadSled at the range.

I've hunted with several cartridge favorites over the years and I would consider the 25-06 for what you have stipulated. The recoil is very pleasant. And it should be more than enough gun for the species you mentioned. I think the 7mm-08 in reduced loads would also be great. And don't discount the 6.5's either. About 10 years ago I was making the same decision about my own son. At the time I considered the 25-06, 7mm-08, .260 and .243. I ended up getting him a Howa youth rifle in .243 and it was a great decision. Fantastic little rifle that barely kicked and he learned to be a confident shooter with that little gun. After taking several deer with it he finally grew into a 7mm-08. The only hang up I have with the .243, is using it on larger animals like elk. I know it has been done, but it wouldn't be my first choice for game that size.

.243 is by far best choice for pre-teen shooting ‘yotes, ‘lope and deer. .270s and .308 have 2x recoil of .243. If you feel the need to go bigger, a 7mm08 splits the difference.

Mixedbag,
Do you reload? If so you can custom fit the load to fit your sons tolerance for recoil with any of the calibers mentioned above. I started my son with a 308 using 110 grain bullets and reduced loads throughout the summer. Then just before deer season started, I bumped the round up to 150 grain reduced loads to hunt with. Having a rifle that fits him well is more important for felt recoil then which short action 7mm or .30 caliber you chose. As a kid,I started out shooting an old Winchester model 94 in 30-30 caliber that beat the crap out of me. When I finally saved enough lawn mowing and wood splitting money to buy my .270, which fit me much better, the recoil felt like nothing.

Last edited:
In your same shoes and my son got a 243. With today's bullets, I'd have no problem with him using it on an elk hunt. I bet a 100gr Partition, Barnes, or eTip would be better than many of the cup and core loads of larger chamberings that have been used on elk for years with no problem.

Seems like everyone agrees on calibers but I think it's also important to get a rifle that is heavy enough. I can see wanting to give a youth or person of smaller stature a small light rifle that will be easy to carry, but having something of moderate weight with a decently long barrel will also greatly reduce recoil and muzzle blast. I would give a youth a 9.5-10 lb .270 with a 24 inch barrel way before a 5.5 lb 6.5 creedmore or .243 with a short barrel.

7mm-08 vote for me too. Fairly flat shooting and very mild recoil. Some good rifles come with a youth stock with an option to size up later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back