youth caliber

Something that ends with mauser. Either 7 or 6.5. But if you're having issues finding that rifle, I would look for a 243. I've been shooting my son's 243, because he has picked the swede, and I had forgotten how pleasant it is to shoot. Whatever you choose, I would stay away from the 18 in barrels, blast seems to be as big a detriment as recoil.

For our “primitive” season, I have an H&R Target Classic in .38-55. This caliber should be the official youth caliber the world over. 255 grain bullet with a very mild recoil. All it does is kill deer dead. Unfortunately, you won’t find it in rifles that fit kids. If you ever want an extra rifle, pick one up. So much fun to shoot.

Get him the man bun cartridge. 6.5 Creedmoor.

I had planned on picking up a 7mm-08 for a my 11 yr old son, but found a really good deal on a Kimber Hunter in a 6.5 man bun. It was easier for him to shoulder (lighter) than most of the youth model rifles and would serve as a light weight mountain rifle for me, so I picked it up. Two weeks ago we took it to a friends ranch to do a little target practice. I was really impressed on how comfortable he was with the recoil and ran through about 10 shots while I was fine tuning my muzzleloader. A couple days later I took the gun on a backpack hunt for mule deer and was super impressed on how well the cartridge performed in the field.

I know we make a lot of fun of the 6.5 on this forum, but its a pretty sweet shooting rifle.

I think it would be difficult to beat the 7mm-08 as a balance between all the factors that go into a youth gun. But, I'd also get behind the .243, 260 rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 7x57 and the .257 Roberts.

Son killed two WTs at 6 with a single shot .223.
At 7, he moved up to a Ruger Compact .308. That year, he killed 9 WTs (DMAP tags). We started with reduced recoil loads. Mid-season, I gave him regular loads and he never noticed.
At around 14, he got a 257 WBY Magnum.
At 19, he’s killed around 80 WTs, a few with bow, but most with rifle. Also killed a couple of antelope. He never complained about recoil, but he just loved killing deer so much.

I think what might work well for you is .25-06, 6.5, .308, 7mm-08, or .260. Just make sure the kid is real good with a scoped 22.

Not picking on this guy but just another my kid did! Lot of people go this way about cartridge's for young people. No doubt there are some kids that can handle more recoil, just like some big kid's can handle more recoil. But I don't think putting more recoil than necessary in a young kids hands is a good idea, even if you already did it and it worked out! They are all different and rather than risk putting to much on the young kid, I'd simply start low and let the kid work it's way up if he/she want's to.

my 9 year old weighs 60 lbs he has a 7mm08 it is a little stiff for him I bought the Hornady lite ammo. I would suggest a 243 because the youth size guns are lighter than a standard rifle thus more recoil.

No need to overthink it. Have him put a few hundred rounds down range in short action caliber "X" and he'll be worlds ahead of most hunters, young or old. A few chamberings can do that and be easy on the shoulder, probably nothing bigger than a .264 hole, save for light mono's in a 7-08.

This.

I'm a whole lot more concerned with teaching young hunters to shoot accurately under pressure (i.e. they can block things out and concentrate on the trigger press), and know WHERE to put the bullet than I am about what the headstamp on the cartridge says.

My daughter spent a lot of time putting reduced 30-06 loads downrange from a Tikka with a shortened stock. She shoots it very well, but she REALLY likes the Kimber Hunter in 6.5 much better.

Ergonomics of the rifle are a very important consideration. Chambering, not so much. There are a number of options that are very hard to go wrong with if you teach them where to put the bullet and how to shoot the rifle.

I picked up a 260 rem several years ago on a whim and haven't looked back. Other than a 54cal flintlock, it's the only rifle I hunt with anymore. I can't imagine a better all-purpose caliber for the lower 48. Light recoil, accurate, shoots flat, hits hard...

I'm 14 years old and have shot my Dad's 270 for the past 4 years and killed plenty of deer with it. It might be a little light load for elk but can still do the trick. If your worried about the kick you can always get a muzzle break on it and or a different recoil pad.

kids aren't young for very long. I would suggest picking the caliber you or he will most likely want to use when he's older and just use the reduced recoil loads like others have suggested. Or buy a .243, 260, 6.5mm, then just buy a bigger caliber later on. Lets be honest, buying new guns is fun!

I'm on the 7mm-08 bandwagon also, I personally have killed numerous elk with one and my wife now uses one too. Put a good quality bullet in the chamber and it will do well. Plus when he "out grows" the gun it still makes a great backup and deer gun.

I have a .257 Roberts, and I love it. light recoil, and I have killed deer, elk antelope, bear and coyotes with it. that gets my vote, but they are harder to find.

Just for reference when I started my daughter a couple years ago she was about 85 lbs and had only shot the .22 at that point. I bought her a Savage Hunter Youth in 7-08 and she said she would rather shoot the .260 caliber. Both lightweight and 20-22 inch barrels. She said the 7-08 kicked way harder...lol. I just cant say enough good things about the 260 rem. Has treated us well. Ive never taken a shot past 400 on a game animal and it will quickly kill at that range with a proper placement and bullet selection. Good luck finding a rifle. A 243 wouldnt be a bad choice either but effective range on big game may be quite a bit shorter. Lots to consider here. Nothing wrong with a 7-08 as long as the shooter isnt flinching every time they pull. My daughter shoots ragged holes at 100 yards from the prone with the .260 but is noticeably apprehensive with the 7-08 and her groups open up, quite a bit. Rather put a 260 through the heart than a 300 win to the ??? Just my 02.

I've got a couple rifle for my grandson to try when he get's bigger. On is a 308 and the other is a 243. There's a catch on the 308 though, I only shoot cast bullet's in it. With 180gr cast bullet's its about like shooting a 243. I've used cast in the past in my 30-06 and in it with the powder I was using, the think didn't recoil as much as a 22 RF. Whatever I'd get the 10 yr old, either I would reload and cast or either the 234, 260/6,5 CM or the 7mm08. I'd be careful with the 7mm08 though. For some reason many people think their kid should be able to shoot any and every thing up to the 30-06, just ain't so. It's probably right that the 243 would be no challenge for the kid and I suspect the 260/6.5 CM wouldn't be either. Might be the kid could handle a 308 too but, criminly, he's only 10yrs old. Be alright if he started with something bit smaller? He can grow into bigger stuff! I read a lot that say's get the kid or young girl friend a 30-06 and used reduced load ammo. If ya want a 308, buy a 308. If ya want a 260, buy a 260. Don't play stupid games with the kids!

7mm-08 or something in the 6.5mm. My wife who is recoil sensitive shoots a 7mm-08 and with reduced recoil loads(that work fine on deer) its pretty nice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back