Anyone in the Springs area want to do some small game hunting?

SFC B

Have to say that I have only done a little bit of squirrel hunting but definitely want to get out some weekends this winter. I got a couple of tree rats with my 17 at elk camp and think it would be a hoot for some more of them and maybe some rabbits. Let me know if anyone is interested.

I may be interested after my 4th season deer hunt. I haven't spent a whole lot of time chasing small game in Colorado, other than birds here and there when time permits.

Sorry if this takes away from your post but how do you guys prepare the squirrels you harvest? I've been thinking about chasing a few but have never cooked one

I haven't gotten any big enough to eat out here yet. In IN I had browned them in a iron skillet and then braised with veggies in the oven.

Skin them, quarter them, and flour/fry them like a chicken. Make gravy from the drippings!!

Killing an animal no matter how small should be eaten. Otherwise, it shouldn't be killed.

Your opinion...I also kill coyotes, mice and rats and don't eat them. There are MANY animals whose numbers need to be controlled and the fact that CPW sets the limits of 5 fox and 5 pine squirrels A DAY means they think squirrels are one of those species. Again, I do eat squirrels but these pine squirrels would have had MAYBE a couple of ounces of meat each. They were much more meaningful as a food source to other animals in the forest than to me. BTW, if you don't eat ALL of the organs and entrails (which are considered food in many parts of the world) of everything you shoot, I would caution you against judging.

Your opinion...I also kill coyotes, mice and rats and don't eat them. There are MANY animals whose numbers need to be controlled and the fact that CPW sets the limits of 5 fox and 5 pine squirrels A DAY means they think squirrels are one of those species. Again, I do eat squirrels but these pine squirrels would have had MAYBE a couple of ounces of meat each. They were much more meaningful as a food source to other animals in the forest than to me. BTW, if you don't eat ALL of the organs and entrails (which are considered food in many parts of the world) of everything you shoot, I would caution you against judging.

Not quite. When an animal is a pest you can kill as many as you want and there's no season. That's how coyote is. Squirrels are a meat animal. They limit it to 5 so you won't wipe them out. If you don't eat the squirrels. Why are you killing them? Are they a pest on your property?

No, I don't eat the organs from big game. I don't like it and it's not required by law that I do.

Squirrels are pests in my opinion who need to be controlled and just happen to have edible meat. My choice is my choice (here it is made because there was simply not enough meat to actually cook) and yours is yours, however, it is hypocrisy for you to choose not to eat edible portions of animals you KILL and then judge me for not doing the same.

Just giving my opinion. I don't kill to just kill. You're free to do as you please.

Hunters back east and the south consider squirrel hunting a good sport. I don't think they think of squirrels as pests.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back