Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Load Development Software?

VikingsGuy

As I begin my journey down the rabbit hole of hand-loading, it is apparent quickly that there is a lot of information and data to manage & assess. Any software programs/apps or other handy tools such as spreadsheet templates that folks use to make this simpler?

I haven't gotten into digital record keeping...a notebook with loads (powder, primer, COAL, bullet, cases, times fired if applicable). Tape targets to the pages with corresponding load weight. There is a program where you upload pics of your targets and then it'll measure the group sizes and allows you to put in that type of information. I'm still learning it and how to get the font large enough to read.

QuickLoads is a favorite for reloaders though it is like $150 to download.

I'm pretty sure there is a loading spreadsheet available at longrangehunting. mtmuley

QuickLoad isn't designed to retain records of your loads, it's used to evaluate internal ballistics information. You can save the load information but it can only be printed out in a predetermined image format rather than as a spreadsheet, text, or PDF file.

QuickLoad will save a lot of time developing loads for various calibers if that is what you’re looking for.

QuickLoad is a great tool coupled with a good chronograph to verify loads. Don't just trust the pressures it spits out at you, you will still want to work up loads and monitor for signs of pressure. If you don't get a Chrono, I would be leery about experimenting with self concocted or unconfirmed loads from the internet and just stick with established load data from bullet manufacturers...in fact if you are knew to reloading, just stick to what is published. Be really careful with handgun loads.

QuickLoad is only as accurate as the information you give it...in many cases you may really be surprised at what QuickLoad predicts and what the Chronograph reports. If you load or plan to load wildcats that do not have a SAAMI spec. and published loads, this program and a Chronograph is almost a must have.

James

Back