Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming License increase for 2018

I'm rolling the dice on a Wyoming elk tag next year. Either people will drop to the regular pool due to cost, or see it as an opportunity and go all in for the special.

I'm rolling the dice on a Wyoming elk tag next year. Either people will drop to the regular pool due to cost, or see it as an opportunity and go all in for the special.

And, some may try to cash in that were building points the past decade-plus which unleashes a holy point creep. Ever look to see how many max point guys merely put in for points? If this causes them to apply in 2018 then will be a blood bath in the better units then that panic will cause more incentive to cash in points so point creep will cascade down through the middling units in 2019 and for a few years. Anyone that cashes in will then face a "Colorado" quandary where if you cash in your deer points there you are decades from a top unit. I doubt the NR have the political pull in WY but if applications fall off 20% from 2017 to 2020 then the F&G/WY Politicians may opt to enlarge the random pool to reduce the erosion in applications. Hold on tight, is about to get bumpy in WY.

WY has sold every NR Elk license they could legally sell and the demand for Antelope has reached the point they had to go back to a leftover draw to spread out the server hits. I believe the more likely scenario is that applications increase by 20%. Cost of the license has been a non issue.

They need to increase the tag cost on us residents and start making us foot more of the bill. It is bs that they hammer non residents every chance they get.

That's an interesting analysis lopehunter. I guess as a NR wanting a general elk tag, and willing to pay a higher special fee, the odds might be better next year. Heck, might be possible to get a tag and a point like a few years ago.

They need to increase the tag cost on us residents and start making us foot more of the bill. It is bs that they hammer non residents every chance they get.

My property taxes beg to differ. NR should foot most of the bill. Hunting in another state is a huge luxury. I would pay way more if they cut the NR allocation to under 5% of tags maybe.

I'll pay more as a resident if nonresidents agree to stop whining about the wilderness area rule. Deal? Compromise...

I would also pay much more if they did like a week block of the season (like opening week, or last, whatever) that was " resident only". Maybe in only general areas.

Last edited:
Nice....

es·prit de corps

eˌsprē də ˈkôr
noun
a feeling of pride, fellowship, and common loyalty shared by the members of a particular group.

Looks like cow and doe prices are staying the same bargain prices.
Even with these increases it will still be much cheaper than private land hunting...if you can draw a permit.

I wonder what thought process they used to increase resident tags $4 and non-resident $54. The pricing and tag allocations appear to lack logic.

glad I drew my elk tag this year,,unfortunately I got tag soup for the 2nd time on elk in Wyoming.I think im done with Wyoming elk,,,0 for 2 now with over $1200 invested in tags alone,not counting other expenses and not a single shot fired.they are really pushing it for non-res prices!!I will problably be done with deer too if I ever draw a tag,,at 8 points its adding up to be a spendy one too.8x40 on top of tag price,plus the conservation stamp,,,,getting to be a rich mans sport.

I agree 100%

And what percentage of your property taxes fund the Game Dept? Zero?

I'm not familiar with WY/MN/OR F&G financials, are the departments in the red or black currently?

Here in CO they keep talking about Resident increases, but budget wise I don't see where the need is. The fee increase seems to always be related around resident big game, but the funding seems to be deferred to non-big game projects, mostly fisheries. Not much discussion of fishing fee increases.

I'm not familiar with WY/MN/OR F&G financials, are the departments in the red or black currently?

Here in CO they keep talking about Resident increases, but budget wise I don't see where the need is. The fee increase seems to always be related around resident big game, but the funding seems to be deferred to non-big game projects, mostly fisheries. Not much discussion of fishing fee increases.

Of course there is a need, they only made a $10+ million profit last fiscal year :rolleyes:

The problem is no one seems to fully know where the game and fish(DNR here) stand in any state based on budget and we all wonder where these increases really go. I'd almost bet no one does because it would take you hours and hours to unravel it and after my regular full time job I don't need a 2nd one trying to figure out the DNR budget. :) What I do know is the cost doubled for points in WY for a NR ans the tags went way up, but yet did little to zero for a residents cost. I know....some of you are going to use the well I pay taxes here thing.....well...when I go to WY you know how much I spend there for 3-10 days, well it's like paying taxes well over a local and I'm just there for 3-10 days...local are there all year. Figure that one out :)

I agree this is not just a WY issue, it's just that WY is the one with the giant increase this time. What needs to happen and I know it's impossible to coordinate is for everyone to not buy points, buy no tags or hunt in WY. That would mean no other money either, hotels, gas, food...etc.etc.etc. Let's see how that would sit with WY....too bad there is no way to pull that off. I already believe the amount of point bought will go way down and people are going to dump points over the next two years and then we will see where WY sits I guess.

With tight state budgets, never-ending increase in wildlife management and hunting issues, and revenue source constraints, it seems this is a prevalent concern. Montana FWP significantly increased NR license fees and minimally increased resident fees in recent years. Initially, it looked like a reduction in the purchases of NR licenses but now the available numbers are pretty much sold out each year. So there was no real negative impact on the tourism commercial dollars derived from hunting, as had been anticipated and was alluded to in the previous MN Public Hunter post about Wyoming. My perception is that since the increases and related concerns, Montana FWP has been making a concerted effort at increased transparency with respect to budgets and related fiscal issues. Unfortunately this season, it has translated into a statement about less monies for enforcement in the field, exacerbated by a shortage of wardens, so that worries me. Whether or not that enforcement decrease occurred, I'm still not certain. My conclusion is support of license fees if it can be shown there is a need. Hopefully that information will become available in Wyoming and elsewhere it happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back