Rangefinder Choice

FamilyMan

So I have talked myself into thinking that I need a rangefinder. Who's to argue? Thing is, I like to by the best but can't ever afford it, so instead I settle for buying the best value. I have done a fair amount of research when, low-and-behold, the local store currently has both the rangefinders I have narrowed the choice down to available at the exact same price ($350). These are the Leupold RX-1200i TBR with DNA and the Sig Kilo2000.

I believe this is the normal full price for the Leupold, but a $150 markdown on the Sig (probably because Sig has put out newer models). So the question is which would I be happier with in the long run. I know that a particular TV hunting personality that I respect a great deal uses the Leupold, but on the other hand I see a lot more people on this forum singing the praises of the Sig.

Any experience or opinions on the subject would be welcome.

Thank you. - Mark

I have sent in an RX1200 twice now, and its predecessor 2 times before they upgraded me to the 1200. If I had it to do over again, I would not buy a Leupold rangefinder again. In fact, the next time I send one in, and I get a new one in package back, I will CL it and buy a Vortex.

Leupolds 1000i are pretty much the standard for archery hunting and competition. I've found them to be exact or 1/2 yard off depending on the day it was built. Mine works very well out to decent rifle range as do all those I see on the archery range. I do not have the 1200i.
The Sig is the hot setup for rifle out over 1000 but they have discontinued the 2000 as you discovered. Sending in a broken one will see a new 2200 in your mailbox (allegedly). If I was doing it, I'd probably spend some more on the Kilo 2200.

I've used both rangefinders and like both of them, but my son's Kilo 2000 has been very impressive. Fast, accurate and long capabilities with the Sig. Also, the Sig's scan mode was much faster. Both good rangefinders, but I'd get the Sig.

Sig seems to be the pick of the litter right now, if you get a good one. IIRC there was a spate of them that were failing, but that was some time ago.

The sig is back on sale at Cabelas. Normally $500, it's on sale for $350 again. Jump on it!
I have one. it took a bath, got fogged and sent it in. They are sending a new one back and i should get it this week. Less than a 3 week turn around. Customer service has been stellar, just like Leupold and Vortex.

I'll have to check them out if my Leupold 1200i TBR DNA (I think) ever fails me.

Not impressed with my Loo pold 1000. difficult getting a signal at longer ranges. Would not work in the fog last week.
Looking to upgrade next year

It's my understanding that the 2200 has a smaller reticle.

I just bought the 2200 to replace my Bushnell 1300. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Cabela's has the 2200 in O2 Octane on sale right now for $399. Go to a website like Raise.com and buy $400 worth of Cabela's cards at about an 11.5% discount ($400 for ~$354). Then buy it from Cabela's with the gift cards. With tax I ended up paying about $375 total. Shipping was free.

That's not much more than the 2000 on sale which also might be in the process of being discontinued.

I looked at the Leica 1600 and couldn't justify the $500-600 when I could get the Sig Kilo 2200 for a total of $375.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Sig 2000 for $300 on Dvor.com, and put it up against my 1st Gen 1000 TBR. No contest. Even better is the auto variable brightness, I can range at sunset again and over sunny snow. I am generally a pretty big Leupold fan, but this was tough to ignore.

Thank you all for your thoughts - please keep them coming.

In the mean time, a follow-up question. Does the Sig 2000 have something similar to the True Ballistic Range (TBR) feature of the Leupold and, do you find this feature to be of significant importance or just a kinda-nice-to-have sort of thing???

Thank - Mark

You guys have me researching Sig...their terminology for TBR is AMR (Angle Modified Range)....tons of stellar reviews, good price point.

Wow... You guys really like to spend money..

I got an SA Sports Dragon Eyez 1500 from Amazon for $200.
Have actually ranged a deer silhouetted on a hill at 1160 yards.
600-800 yards no prob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back