MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

50mm vs 65mm Scope What would you go with?

NYSKIER

Hi all looking into picking up a new spotter I have a cheap one right now that gets the job done to a decent amount but I have a great pair of binos and would love to have a good spotter as well to go with them. I was considering getting a pair of big long range binos but since I backpack hunt on 50% of my trips I like the shape and size of the scope a little better plus and I don't have the cash to spend the money on both I think I'm going to go with a spotter (Unless I can be talked out of it). Like I previously mentioned this would be for backpack hunting. I'm not judging for trophy quality of animals so I don't need an 85mm but I would like a better view than binoculars and it will certainly help when looking over terrain for deer. Anyway just looking for suggestions on whether I should go with a 50mm or 65mm scope currently looking at Vortex Razors and whatever alpha glass I can find used at a good price. Thanks in advance! Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Go with the 65, and Get yourself an eye patch from the drug store. With the eye patch you will be able to glass with the scope for hours (if necessary) without eye strain, plus you get to look like a pirate!!! GJ

I have the gold ring 50 and found I needed a bigger one. These elk are about a mile away, we could tell there was a bull but not tell points. Plus in low light my 8x42 binos out performs the spotter. 57BAD4DD-8DA6-436A-9B57-628549CCB025.jpg

I have both (Nikon ED 50 and Leupold Gold Ring 60mm). There is almost a pound difference between the two. When weight is a real issue I take the 50. This is the first year with the 60mm and I am not completely sold its worth the extra money and weight. You can easily justify either decision either scope, but personally I dont think it will make a ton of difference.

When you say you are backpacking hunting, do you mean you are carrying your camp on your back as well or are these longer day hikes? Also, do you have to carry in much water? Where we hunt deer we have to carry in atleast 3 gallons and weight is a real issue. At these times I opt for the 50. Where we hunt elk we are able to hike into our area in less than an hr, so we dont stay overnight. On these day hunts I took the 60.
I hope that helps.

I have both (Nikon ED 50 and Leupold Gold Ring 60mm). There is almost a pound difference between the two. When weight is a real issue I take the 50. This is the first year with the 60mm and I am not completely sold its worth the extra money and weight. You can easily justify either decision either scope, but personally I dont think it will make a ton of difference.

When you say you are backpacking hunting, do you mean you are carrying your camp on your back as well or are these longer day hikes? Also, do you have to carry in much water? Where we hunt deer we have to carry in atleast 3 gallons and weight is a real issue. At these times I opt for the 50. Where we hunt elk we are able to hike into our area in less than an hr, so we dont stay overnight. On these day hunts I took the 60.
I hope that helps.

Usually we are carrying camp in and it can be anywhere from a mile to 4 or 5. As far as carrying water it depends on where we go but usually we will carry a 3 liter or 2 liter reservoir and we bring a filter with us for more. If it was a day hike I would go large but it where and how I'm hunting changes often. I live out east and try to do about three trips a year so our terrain and area always changes. One day we could be hunting from the car the next we are packing in deep

I know there aren't that many replies yet but the consensus seems to be 65mm. Anyone have any thoughts on a 15x bino?

I have the Kowa 664 XD Prominar and just purchased the new Kowa 550 light weight and couldn't be happier with both. They are outstanding spotters, a bit on the expensive side but worth every penny.

Kowa's are definitely a little expensive going to have to see if I can find a deal somewhere if not I'll have to wait a year to put some money aside to get one

I had a 50mm scope and sold it after a year. The field of view gets tiny when you zoom in all the way, and at lower magnification you aren't much better off than with a good set of binos on a tripod.

Usually we are carrying camp in and it can be anywhere from a mile to 4 or 5. As far as carrying water it depends on where we go but usually we will carry a 3 liter or 2 liter reservoir and we bring a filter with us for more. If it was a day hike I would go large but it where and how I'm hunting changes often. I live out east and try to do about three trips a year so our terrain and area always changes. One day we could be hunting from the car the next we are packing in deep

I just got back from the elk hunt and still preferred my little 50 just because of the weight savings and the I like functionality of the 50 better. I was surprised how I didnt feel I gained as much as I had hoped by going bigger, to the point I'm considering selling my 60mm. I will probably give it a couple more hunts, just to make sure, but that is my opinion right now.

I'd find a used Swarovski 20-60x65. Can usually find the non hd for around $1200. Awesome scope for the backpack

Thanks for all the input guys I went with the Vortex Razor HD 65 I got it on sale on camofire so I'm going to give it a shot and worst comes to worst it will end up in the classifieds on here or rokslide

i just brought a mini scope,,less than a pound and nearly fits in pocket,,compared it to a swarovski and i like mine better,its a kowa

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back