Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Elk hunting with a .308

Southern Elk

I've always elk hunted with my 7 mm mag, but I have a Savage Lightweight Hunter that I have been wanting to try out. What ammo would you recommend for elk hunting with a .308? I shot a box of Federal ammo with 150 grain soft point bullets while sighting it in. I also have that same ammo in 180 grain.

I shoot a 150 gr. Barnes TSX BT for both deer and elk. If you are shooting a cup and core I would bump it up to 165 gr. If you don't reload and want a good round at a good price, give the Fusions a try in 165 or 180 gr.

I'd feed it 165 grain Accubonds or Partitions and not give it a second thought.

Last year I took my elk with a 168gr TTSX bullet in my handloads, one shot at a little over 100 yards and the bull dropped in his tracks. Barnes claims that you can use bullets that are slightly lighter than standard cup and core bullet because the TTSX performs more reliably. As for a commercial cartridge, I've used 168gr Hornady Amax bullets with good results. I've also tested the new Hornady Precision Hunter ammo on paper and it groups really well out of my rifle plus they use the Amax bullet in it but the closest bullet weight to 168gr is a 178gr Amax. I'd be tempted to try those 178gr cartridges except I'm using my 30-06 this year instead of my .308.

I've killed a lot of elk with my .308 Win using 165 grain Nosler Partitions and 168 grain Nosler E-Tips.

I would go with what Randy said. You can also look at Barnes TTSX loaded in their Vor-TX ammo. Either would be sufficient medicine for elk. Remember, good shots are the most important.

A 150 grain Barnes TSX will kill any elk that walks. Just be mindful of minimum expansion velocities.

The regular ‘ol “blue box” Federal 180 grain is plenty for elk in a .308. I know from experience.

Also the premium bullets suggested by other hunters are great too.

Before I worked up a handload I used Federal Premium ammo with Nosler Partitions for both deer and elik. I don't think it would do you wrong.

Thanks guys. Lots of good recommendations here. I do already have a box of "blue box" Federal 180 gr. that belly-deep mentioned. I'm going to see if our local sporting goods store stocks any of the ammo recommended above.

Just to follow up on this, I did some target practice with the 180 grain blue box federal. They did great, but I'm a little worried about the bullets which are regular old soft points. I ordered some Federal Premium with 180 grain Nosler Partitions. I think they will be what I need.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back