Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hide Tanning Kit?

Bambistew

Anyone ever tanned a hide with one of the various kits available? If so how did it turn out?

Can't decide if I want to spend $200 to tan it commercially, or DIY for $40. I'm not out a lot, but I haven't had a chance to pack out a full hide before this one either...

Attachments

• 20171022_205938.jpg
    20171022_205938.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 206
Moyle will do it for $120, shipping will be the major cost though.
Some kits seem to work ok, perhaps one of the taxidermists will weigh in on here.

You will be able to tan a hide just fine by yourself but good luck breaking it. In my experience it will be stiff as a board. I'd spend the extra money and have it professionally done

I got a chrome kit from Van Dykes about 25 years ago. I used it for a cow elk I shot. Like was said, the hard part is working it dry. I had no way to shave it to a consistent thickness and there is an unbelievable amount of variation. The tanning part was straightforward, simple and fairly easy. Breaking it down took most of 2 days. I still have the hide and it is still really stiff. Works for a wall hanging but not a blanket or coat. I did it once, don’t need to do it again.

I bought a kit from Van Dykes for a fox I have and it worked great!

I used the same kit on a deer hide. I had enough to do two deer and it worked very well and softened it up nicely. It takes a fair amount of time to shave it and break it down but I think it turned out great.

Thanks for the replies. I was a bit concerned about breaking the hide as well. I may just bite the bullet and send it off. Will keep the home tanning for thinner skinned critters.

What did you use to shave it down?
If I remember correctly I used a large, old kitchen knife that was long and somewhat narrow. I fashioned a second handle on the pointy end so I could use both hands. To get it real smooth I believe the last step I did was run an orbital sander over it.

I have sent them out & happy with results,but pricey now.
Been using the solution kits from F&T Fur traders supply. I like hair on for throws, smooth finish for seat covers.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back