"Ewe" Got to Love It!!!!!

Elkwhisper

Well after three years of trying it all finally came together this weekend in the Breaks! As many of you have no doubt read, my wife and daughter decided in 2015 that they would really like to do a sheep hunt in the Breaks. Once I explained to them the odds of drawing a ram tag, they both agreed that they wanted to start off with ewes first and then tackle the challenge of drawing a ram tag. In 2015 my wife drew a 680-30 tag, and our plan was to use Bullwhacker road (when it was still open), to get us into sheep country and hunt from there. We gave it hell for 3 days, but ended up only seeing a couple of rams, but not ewes.

2016 had us back in the Breaks when my daughter drew a 680-31 tag. This time with the help of my uncle, we accessed sheep country via the river with a jet boat. We camped at the Judith Landing campground and ran the river for three days, glassing all the way, and hiking deep in to any likely looking canyon's. Again, we found rams, but no ewes on the correct side of the river.

This year it was my wife, Jessica's turn again with a 482 tag.... and as we began to make plans for this trip, MFWP called and offered my daughter a 680-30 tag that someone had turned in. Now we had tags on both sides of the river, and were optimistic that this would be our year.

My uncle Joe and I, headed over Friday afternoon with the plan of getting the camper set up, and assessing the possibility of getting the boat in the water at the Stafford Ferry. We also spent the evening glassing from the top, down into some likely looking sheep holes, but could only turn up deer. My wife and daughter made it to camp late that night, and by dawn on Saturday, we were backing the boat into the Mighty Mo. With no ramp, it was quite the challenge getting it launched, but after a few attempts, we got it floating.

The river is pretty low, but we were able to idle down stream glassing into each draw..... our plan was to make it down to Ervine Ridge and start putting some miles on the boots. However, only about 3/4 of a mile from the ferry, I spotted some sheep on a sheer face, about a mile above the river on the south side. We beached the boat on the North side and set up the spotters. What we saw was on nice 170's ram with 3 ewes. We surveyed the country and our approach options, and made a plan. From where we sat the sheep were at 1900 yards, and using my Kilo 2400 I was able to range various ridges to try and pick one that would put us within rifle range. We crossed the river, and started our hike up into the canyon.

It only took about 40 minutes to cut the distance, despite some pretty tricky terrain and side hill crossings that had us using both hands to cling to the hillside.... I was pretty proud of both my wife and 14 year old daughter for sticking with it, and getting to where we needed to be.

When we reached the ridge I wanted to get set up on, I peaked over and the sheep had moved further up the canyon.... and I could only see 2 of the ewes, and just caught a glimpse of the ram diving into a ravine. A quick check of the rangefinder showed 457 yards. With approach options very limited from here we decided to make it work from where we were. My new Christensen Ridgline has been shooting really well, and I was very confident it was up for the job, particularly considering we had zero wind. My wife eased in behind the gun, but had quite a bit of trouble finding the sheep due to the sun shining directly in our eyes. Eventually, she was able to locate the ewe I had the spotter trained on, and she was giving her a very slightly quartering to, angle.

At the shot, the sheep staggered and Jessica jacked another one in.... but it wasn't necessary. The first round had found it's way directly into the center of the ewe's heart and with one step, she cartwheeled toward the bottom. As we watched here fall, another 7 sheep appeared out of the earth, and we watched as 2 big rams, pushed the ewes up and over the ridge. One of the ewes was wearing a big radio collar.

From where we sat, it didn't look like we would have any trouble finding her, but when we got over there it was amazing how steep of a face those sheep were on. It wasn't exactly safe or responsible, to ask my wife or daughter to scale there way up to where she fell, so I did my best Spiderman impression and clawed my way up to where she lay. A quick nudge with my boot, sent her to the very bottom of the washout, where we shared some hugs and high fives, took the obligatory grip and grins, and set to work diving her up into packable pieces.

After three years of trying we finally had found some success. I have hunted all over the west, to include Alaska and B.C several times, and went into this adventure with the assumption that this would be a walk in the park. What it turned into, was a great challenge that I shared with my girls..... While we were packing out Jessica's sheep, I proudly proclaimed "Teamwork makes the dream work"... which was quickly followed by the kind of groan one would expect from a 14 year old daughter, who thinks her dad is giant dork! It was a great moment for our family, and it was awesome to be able to share it with my Uncle Joe.

I wish I would have taken more pics, but we were focused on the task at hand.... Here are a few of Jessica's sheep and the area we were in.

Attachments

• 20171028_135500.jpg
    20171028_135500.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 652
  • 20171028_203151.jpg
    20171028_203151.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 660
  • 20171028_203421.jpg
    20171028_203421.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
But wait.... There is more!

It took us a good part of the day to get Jessica's sheep boned, and packed back to the boat. It was about 1:30 by the time we got back to the river, and it was HOT! My daughter Cassidy, was overheating badly, and I wasn't sure we were going to be able to convince here to cross the river and do it all over again.

Just before we got back to the boat, I snapped a photo of the girls... you can tell by the look on her face, the needle was pegged on her fun meter.

Attachments

• 20171028_130502.jpg
    20171028_130502.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
After a couple of cold Mountain Dew's and a big fat turkey sandwich, we convinced Cassidy to give it a couple of hours to see if we could find her a sheep too. Again we began to idle down stream, glassing as we went. After talking to the biologist, we were trying to make it down to Ervine ridge, where we were told lots of ewes hang out. Not far down stream from where Jessica took her sheep, I picked out another sheep on an even taller and more sheer cliff face.... We beached the boat, and decided to go take a look. One problem.... our hunter was literally snorning.

Joe and I made a short climb to get the spotter on the sheep I had seen, and what we found was a lone ewe feeding about 3/4 of the way up a face. The good news was, that it would only take about a half mile stalk to get Cassidy into position for a shot. After waking up sleeping beauty and getting her up the hill, we got the gun setup on the Dead Shot field pod for her, and she settled in. At the shot, Cassidy immediately called it high, and I watched the bullet impact about an inch over here back. The sheep jumped, and bailed straight down the face.... not sure how she kept her feet under her as she was more flying than running, but she made it to a bench below here and lined out up the canyon, unharmed.

Cassidy, was pretty disappointed, and it was becoming apparent that she was starting to suffer from a little over exertion / heat exhaustion. The girls turned back for the boat, and I decided to grab the spotter and chase the ewe up the canyon, just to make sure she wasn't hit.... which she wasn't. As I was chasing them back down toward the boat, Joe an I spotted a big group of sheep just a half mile further down stream, and they were on the bank right above the river.

I wasn't sure if I should push her any harder, but these sheep were within just a couple hundred yards of the water. With that in mind, we through caution to the wind and just landed the boat right below them. We were out of site, thanks to a big bluff right along the river. When we peaked over, the sheep had started making their way up the hill..... There were two big rams and about 8 ewes and lambs. The biggest was a giant 190" class ram, that had his nose up a ewe's but. The were slowly making their way across a face at about 300 yards. Cassidy, killed her antelope this year at about that distance, so I thought this would be a sure thing. The ewe took a step, just as the rifle sounded, and I watched the bullet impact just behind her, sending the sheep up the canyon. As I turned around to head back to the boat, Joe pointed out another herd of sheep directly across the river from us, that included 2 respectable rams, both sniffing around the ewes. Lucky for them, they were safely in the other unit.

At this point, it was starting to get late, and Cassidy was clearly ready for some rest. We decided to head back to the truck, with the hope of getting the boat out of the water before dark. We were feeling pretty good about the day, considering Jessica had connected on her first sheep, and we had gotten Cassidy a couple of great opportunities. After 3 years, we were finally making this sheep hunt work.

We had no sooner gotten the boat pointed up river and up on step, when my wife pointed at the bank shouting... "Right there". What do you know, two ewes, literally drinking out of the river. Now, Cassidy didn't have any hike left in her, but this opportunity seemed to good to be true.

These sheep were pretty accommodating, as they just fed their way down the bank while we landed the boat about 150 yards above them.

Cassidy and I jumped out and made a quick scurry down the edge of the river to get them in site, and I got her set up on her sticks, just as the larger of the two turned broadside. And........ click!

I quickly cycled the bolt for her and ejected a perfectly find looking round, with a big dent in the middle of the primer...... Crap! By the time we got another round chambered the sheep had clambered up the steep hillside and out of site, and Cassidy was super disappointed. It had been a long day for her, and just when she got her hopes up that we could pull it out... a bad primer let the wind out of her sails.

But, as if on cue, that big ewe, stepped out on a rock high above us and gave Cassidy one last chance. At the crack of the rifle, she reared up and tipped over. We fully expected here to roll right off the 50ft cliff she was on, to the edge of the river.... but nothing came down. A big hug and a high five, brought the smile to her face I had been hoping to see all day.

So back in Spiderman mode, up the cliff face I went. When I got to the top, the ewe was nowhere to be found. As I began to look for blood, I found a smear that led me to this................

Attachments

• 20171028_164725.jpg
    20171028_164725.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 613
Apparently it was time for Daddy to start enjoying the fine past time of spelunking. I hollered down to the boat that I was going to need some rope, and jumped in... not sure if there was going to be much I could do about it. The sink hole she fell in, was about 25 feet deep, but she was wedged in about 10 feet down. Luckily there was ledge about 6 feet down, that I could safely jump down onto.

Attachments

• 20171028_165024.jpg
    20171028_165024.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 615
I was able to get down on my belly and just barely reach one of her horns. Luckily, I had some adrenaline pumping and was able to horse her up on to the ledge I was standing on. Now imagine trying to gut an animal in a phone booth..... It wasn't pretty, but I was able to open her up and lighten the load by about 30lbs just as a rope dropped down the hole and I peered up to see Joe looking down and me with a big grin. I tied the rope around the sheep and with be lifting and Joe pulling on the rope, we got her up and out of the hole, but we were still on very unstable footing. We decided to just let here slide over the edge, and use the rope to lower her to the rive bank. I shouted at the girls down below, to catch a pic, while we were lowering her down, but with the rope burning through our hands, they weren't able to dig out the phones in time.

What was supposed to be an "easy" gimmie from the sheep gods for a tired little girl, turned into quite the "goat" rope.......

By the time Joe and I made it back down to the riverbank the girls were pretty excited, and we captured some of my favorite trophy pics of all time... we had done it. Two for two!

I know some hard core sheep hunters have some major reservations, about the number of ewe tags given out in the breaks, but for me and my family, I am deeply appreciative for this very special opportunity! The places we have been, and the things we have seen over the past three seasons will be cherished memories for a very long time! Now, the girls are ready to settle in with the rest of us for the looooooong wait on a ram tag.

Attachments

• 20171028_215932.jpg
    20171028_215932.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 608
But wait... There is EVEN MORE!

As beautiful as the weather was on Saturday, Sunday was not so much............. We woke up to high winds and rain, which in the Breaks is never a good thing. Joe and I let the girls sleep in, and decided to stick to the high ground above the river to try and turn a up a deer.

Using the Onyx chip, we spent a nice morning hopping from different state and BLM sections and putting our binos to work.

About mid morning, I was able to spot a very nice set of antlers poking up out of a CRP field, and I told Joe, I would be more than happy to go roll around in the mud with him and help him pack out that deer, as a thank you for all his help on the sheep hunt!

So after about a half mile stalk / crawl through the mud, and one well placed shot... Uncle Joe had himself a dandy of a Montana Mule Deer.

It's weekends like this last one, that remind me how lucky I am to live in a state like Montanan, and have such a great family!

Attachments

• 20171029_205124.jpg
    20171029_205124.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 620
Thanks for sharing. Catchy writing there.

What a great family experience even when the needle was pegged on her fun meter.

I think looking back on times like that will be cherished by everyone.

Nicely done for the whole family. For a "dork", you did both those girls proud. I wouldn't change a thing.

I'm always paranoid that one of those holes is going to swallow me up sometime. Congrats on the sheep; they make for some fine table fare!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back