Caribou Gear Tarp

Best Pack for Day Hunts Plus Haul Meat

Three of the five Mystery Ranch Metcalfs that were all being employed as day packs on this trip, all of which then got converted to meat hauling duty when the bull hit the ground.

View attachment 75960

i was this close to ordering one from how much you like them but i cant justify $525 for a pack thats made in Vietnam. For roughly the same price point i will look into Stone Glacier that is made here. If the metcalf was $200 less, I wouldn't have a problem with it being made in a sweat shop.

i was this close to ordering one from how much you like them but i cant justify $525 for a pack thats made in Vietnam. For roughly the same price point i will look into Stone Glacier that is made here. If the metcalf was $200 less, I wouldn't have a problem with it being made in a sweat shop.

Lot's of places just ran a 25% off sale on Mystery Ranch packs. The Metcalf is a great pack and no where near sweat shop quality.

I agree. It's a tough pack, but the lack of frame height even for my short torso put all the weight right on my shoulders... not comfortable at all! Couple that with the frame digging into my hips at an awkward angle and the constant squeak once things get dusty... there are better packs on the market.

I had the same experience. Sold that thing and bought a stone glacier solo. Love that pack. Worth every penny

EXO 3500 - I've used it for the last 3 seasons and couldn't be happier. It is amazingly lite for the weight it can handle. It has worked flawlessly packing out 2 mature bulls, 1 cow, and a deer. The load shelf and beavertail work great. I had an eberlestock and would not recommend. I don' t think you could go wrong with a mystery ranch either.

I'm curious in what ways it matches or exceeds MR and SG. I have put MR and SG packs through the ringer, but have not owned an Exo, so would be glad for the info. Thanks

With the new exo design there are more options for organization and attachments from the start vs SG. The new exo is fit for water bladder, dry bag in the entire inside compatible, roll top for making smaller on light loads, and the load shelf fits water bladder and snack pack. I looked at both and those features are what made me go with the exo 5500 which is great for day hunts, week hunts, and heavy hauls. I looked at MR too and they are great, but couldn't see any reason to go heavier when realistically all the packs will carry more than I could.

Also, the materials are all the same so the design/features were far more important in those packs.

With the new exo design there are more options for organization and attachments from the start vs SG. The new exo is fit for water bladder, dry bag in the entire inside compatible, roll top for making smaller on light loads, and the load shelf fits water bladder and snack pack. I looked at both and those features are what made me go with the exo 5500 which is great for day hunts, week hunts, and heavy hauls. I looked at MR too and they are great, but couldn't see any reason to go heavier when realistically all the packs will carry more than I could.

Also, the materials are all the same so the design/features were far more important in those packs.

Most important statement in the thread in my opinion "but couldn't see any reason to go heavier when realistically all the packs will carry more than I could." I'd put a lot of credit to the weight of the pack.

I'm not big on add ons or pockets so those aren't pluses for me. I know some like that kind of thing. MR still has the best hipbelt for loads in my book but SG and Kifaru top it in utility per ounce in my experience, perhaps exo does too.

Have and Eberlestock X2, a J104, a Janssen Hunt Hardcore pack and sold a Team Elk. Bought a EXO 3500 and it’ll more than likely be the last pack I buy. Was comparing it and the Metcalf. The EXO have a better layout IMO, I like the separate side pockets for my optics. The Velcro on the belt holds the pouch in place. Not saying it’s the best for you, but it is for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back