Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Backpack Desert Bighorn (Pics)

grizzly_

My wife got lucky and drew a Utah Desert Bighorn tag with only 12 points. After talking with some people that had hunted Desert Bighorn in the past and knowing only 1 of 3 hunters was successful last year in the unit she drew, we decided to hire an outfitter. We called a few different guides, but ultimately ended up going with Bronson Outfitting.

Our first trip was the beginning of October for a few days spent learning the unit and hoping to maybe find some ewes to hunt once the rut kicked in later in the month. We spent a couple of days hitting the edges of the unit on the few roads available and one day in a boat glassing from the shores of Lake Powell. Here, her guides, Wayne Brown and Adam Bronson, try to pick up some sheep on a warm October day.

aa.jpg

With only two small rams seen over 4 days of glassing, we knew our next trip would be much more difficult. We planned the last week of October for 5 days of backpack hunting to access the interior of the unit and look for an old ram that survived unseen in the harsh landscape. Andrea and I awoke to some of the most beautiful landscape on Earth each morning.

3a.jpg

As breathtaking as it is, I'm not afraid to say it is wholly intimidating country in which to try and find a sheep. Here, Adam and my wife, Andrea, spend some time behind the glass.

5b.jpg

And even if you get lucky enough to find a ram, the hard part hasn't even started. It could take a day or two just to work your way on the same mesa as a ram... if you can get there at all.

6c.jpg

7d.jpg

Adam spotted a ram one evening, but we happened to be with Wayne and by the time Adam got my attention we couldn't get back to him before the four ewes and two rams disappeared into the dusky rimrock ledges. The next morning, the old ram from the group was somehow separated from his harem and stood above us at 800 yards. The old ram eventually started walking away, presumably searching for his ewes, and we would spend the next 8 hours chasing a lone ram as he covered miles of rugged terrain, forcing us up/down/around seemingly countless mesas and canyons.

Finally, the old ram bedded down in some shade and the stalk was fully on.

A stumbling sprint around the head of one canyon and a looping arc to get the wind in our favor had us popping over a sandstone ledge only 124 yards from the bedded ram. Andrea was able to slowly put her gun over the edge and squeeze off a great shot. Here, you can see the ram as he lies immediately after the shot.

8e.jpg

Her ram was measured by UDWR as 8.5 years old and 155 5/8" making it one of the biggest rams ever taken in her unit.

f.jpg

I got to get in on some of the pictures as well :hump:

12g.jpg

The sun was setting and the moon was rising as Andrea took a short rest on the long pack back to our spike camp. She let the guys take the meat, but she insisted on carrying the horns.

h.jpg

With the hunt drawing to end, we were able to eat until we were full, drink all the water we had found at a nearby sandstone water pot, and take off our boots by a hot fire. Here, Adam Bronson admires the old ram that he and Wayne were so instrumental in helping us get. We couldn't have done it without Adam and Wayne and will be forever grateful for their help and newfound friendship.

i.jpg

I don't know if I'll ever be lucky enough to go on another backpack hunt for Desert Bighorn, but I do know it was an adventure I'll never forget. I hope you liked the story and pics.

Wow. That is so cool. I've never been on a desert bighorn hunt, but luckily I get to join a friend in Nevada in a few weeks.

Congrats to your wife. Thanks for sharing here.

Other worldly terrain. I was not in Kansas for awhile this morning. Congratulations to all.

Mucho congrats!!! Great ram in some stupid cool country. If/when I ever draw a DBHS tag in UT I think I'll be hiring an guide as well.

Very awesome. Congrats to your wife and you. Thanks for sharing such a cool adventure. The pics were stunning, it looks like very humbling, inhospitable, yet beautiful country.

Congrats to you and your wife on a great ram. That is some rugged country those sheep inhabit.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back