Neoprene chest waders

pointingdogsrule

So I bought some neoprene chest waders that were on sale at Cabelas. I like to trout fish in the winter and thought that these would be ideal. They are too small in the feet so I will return them (possible exchange).

So here is my question: this is my first pair and getting them "ON" is like playing with two pieces of Velcro. Tugging to get on and tugging to get off. The neoprene sure has a lot of friction going over blue jeans. This is the one time that I wish I had a wife... to pull the buggers off :)

Any suggestions on these waders??? Am I doing something wrong. THANKS in advance

good luck to all
the dog

I don't like to wear jeans under neoprene waders, just wear sweat pants with socks over the bottom of the sweats, much more comfortable and easier on & off. Neoprene are fine in cold weather, I hate them when it warms up much, and they can be a little 'clingy' getting on & off.

I push them down so they're almost inside out, put my foot in the boot first. Then roll the rest of the wader up my legs. I'm with fishing4sanity about wearing sweats under the waders though.

Some waders are a slim fit type and some of Cabelas brands are like this.

I am very slim but buy "stout" waders for comfort. I think I get more wear and longevity this way also, in that the seams don't get stretched and tugged as much.
HD

I push them down so they're almost inside out, put my foot in the boot first. Then roll the rest of the wader up my legs. I'm with fishing4sanity about wearing sweats under the waders though.

^this. It’s more of a roll them on and off than pull them on and off. Inside out down to the boots, step in, then sort of roll/pull up. Reverse to take them off.

I have a pair of Cabela's super mag and they are more of a baggy/comfortable fit so taking them on and off is a breeze, that being said even with these waders if I wear carharts or jeans underneath it becomes a chore to get them on and off. I recommend wearing long underwear, sweat pants, or a light hiking pant underneath... really just anything synthetic.

Same as above...sweats with socks over the bottom of them. I wear stout as well though I'm pretty round so I need it. If you do any amount of exertion in those waders it would be wise to invest in some method to dry the inside from sweat. I failed to dry my waders well after I sweated in them and now they have a terrible funk that I can't clean out (I'm about to pour straight bleach in there)

Some waders are a slim fit type and some of Cabelas brands are like this.
HD

I wouldn't really consider any Cabelas waders to be a "slim fit" but rather hilariously in the other direction of hugely oversized. My regular Driplus Cabelas waders have a 47" chest and waist for a size 9 boot which I swim in considering I have a 38" chest and 30" waist. Their 3mm neoprene waders are a little tighter at 42" chest/waist, but I will never own another set of 3mm neoprene waders because of durability versus 5mm which I have so far abandoned for fleece wader pants and breathable waders even on the coldest days.

The trick for waders is to get fleece wader pants that have a stirrup and a velcro cuff at the ankle and to roll your socks over any layer going under the wader pants.

I use elastic/velcro straps to keep the pant legs down over the socks unless I wear stirrupped fleece wading pants. My tender ankles won't get chaffed by the jeans hem that way :p

I wouldn't really consider any Cabelas waders to be a "slim fit" but rather hilariously in the other direction of hugely oversized. My regular Driplus Cabelas waders have a 47" chest and waist for a size 9 boot which I swim in considering I have a 38" chest and 30" waist. Their 3mm neoprene waders are a little tighter at 42" chest/waist, but I will never own another set of 3mm neoprene waders because of durability versus 5mm which I have so far abandoned for fleece wader pants and breathable waders even on the coldest days.

The trick for waders is to get fleece wader pants that have a stirrup and a velcro cuff at the ankle and to roll your socks over any layer going under the wader pants.

So these are "Herters" waders. I have a 37 waist and a 44 chest and they are tight. Wonder if I got the "slim fit" :)

Sure don't leave much room for clothes if I am fishing in 30 degree Iowa weather.

good luck to all
the dog

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back