Cactus

nhn2a

I have to say I laughed pretty hard when I watched the clip of Randy sitting on a cactus (sorry Randy) in one of his earlier episodes. Well I have a new appreciation for the pain now after my Colorado hunt. I saw Cacti everywhere but did a good job of staying away from it until our last day hunting. We got out there at dark and weren't using headlamps after we walked up a ridge so animals couldn't see us. I managed to sit right on a cactus. Then we had a long stalk that I describe in another thread that involved crawling to get close to a deer which I crawled, sat, and rolled in cactus.

I even got a large chunk stuck to the back of my calf which I found when I squatted down thus driving it both into my calf and thigh. I couldn't yank it off myself as it was in pretty deep so had a buddy rip it off which was very painful. Days later I am still pulling spines out of my hands and calf.

All this to say I wont laugh at Randy anymore, just thinking of it now makes me cringe.

You'll still be extracting them in February, so the memory will not fade anytime soon. Is one of those hunting experiences that resonates much more in person that watching the pain of others.

I have to say I laughed pretty hard when I watched the clip of Randy sitting on a cactus (sorry Randy) in one of his earlier episodes. Well I have a new appreciation for the pain now after my Colorado hunt. I saw Cacti everywhere but did a good job of staying away from it until our last day hunting. We got out there at dark and weren't using headlamps after we walked up a ridge so animals couldn't see us. I managed to sit right on a cactus. Then we had a long stalk that I describe in another thread that involved crawling to get close to a deer which I crawled, sat, and rolled in cactus.

I even got a large chunk stuck to the back of my calf which I found when I squatted down thus driving it both into my calf and thigh. I couldn't yank it off myself as it was in pretty deep so had a buddy rip it off which was very painful. Days later I am still pulling spines out of my hands and calf.

All this to say I wont laugh at Randy anymore, just thinking of it now makes me cringe.
There was no excuse for you or Randy, you knew they were there, no sympathy here, but damn that video did bring a smile to my face!
When i hunted in Montana for the first time i didn't know about cactus, mind you we don't have any cactus in the UK!
I got a few in my knee's, i thought i got them all out, then a little septic spot appeared 6 months later!

Cheers

Richard

There was no excuse for you or Randy, you knew they were there, no sympathy here, but damn that video did bring a smile to my face!
When i hunted in Montana for the first time i didn't know about cactus, mind you we don't have any cactus in the UK!
I got a few in my knee's, i thought i got them all out, then a little septic spot appeared 6 months later!

Cheers

Richard

True, I did know they were there so not making any excuses. Just saying its not funny to watch anymore. The one I sat on was by accident but the ones I crawled through we were on a mission after a deer so we knowingly crawled through those. I knew I would regret it later but having no prior experience with Cacti, I didnt know just how much I would regret it.

True, I did know they were there so not making any excuses. Just saying its not funny to watch anymore. The one I sat on was by accident but the ones I crawled through we were on a mission after a deer so we knowingly crawled through those. I knew I would regret it later but having no prior experience with Cacti, I didnt know just how much I would regret it.

Yes i was aware you weren't making excuses, it was my attempt at having some fun at your expense!:)
The last time i wen over we pulled a mule deer back to the car, it ended up looking like a porcupine!
My buddy still managed to get a few in his hands even after i warned him.
I always wondered why some Sitka trousers had knee pads, i thought they were just to protect your knee's from rocks!
Cheers
Richard

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back