Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What is a durable hunting pant? (and KUIU attack pant review)

Have hard used a couple pair of First Lite Obsidian Pants this year hiking for elk and hunting/working on our deer grounds...no damage. no complaints. They launder and fit well.

Like WTF is burly?
...adjective for the man bun crowd.

Last edited:
The Timberlines seem even warmer so unusable for bow season. Right? The Ascents seem warm enough at 0F with layering, so I'm not sure I need a warmer pant but maybe these pants have some advantages.

I picked up some Timberlines off of Camofire back in June. I could tell immediately when I put them on that I would roast to death in them during the archery season, so they stayed in the drawer. Fast-forward to October when I wore them deer hunting: The two days I wore them it never got above 45 degrees. During glassing and low activity periods I was glad for the warmth and protection they provided. However, when I was really moving I started getting uncomfortably warm in them. Personally I wouldn't wear them if the forecasted high was going to be above 50. They are great pants though.

If you're getting hot in Ascents I'd suggest a pair of short pants. Nothing breaths better.
I don't know what you mean by short pants, but this is what I used in the summer/early fall, although they do get shredded by the gnar a bit. http://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...s-guidewear-zip-off-pant/2437035.uts?slotId=5

The ascents would be fine if they had vents on the side - it's only when I'm busting my burly butt racking up the vertical. I'm looking into having zippers sewn in the hips.

I don't know what you mean by short pants, but this is what I used in the summer/early fall, although they do get shredded by the gnar a bit. http://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...s-guidewear-zip-off-pant/2437035.uts?slotId=5

The ascents would be fine if they had vents on the side - it's only when I'm busting my burly butt racking up the vertical. I'm looking into having zippers sewn in the hips.

The Tiburon pant from KUIU is a lightweight pant with hip vents. It's my favorite early season pant.

x2 for the First Lite Corrugate pants. Damn tough nylon and 4 way stretch. 2 years in and they are holding up perfectly.

I have also worn the First Lite Obsidian for 20+ days of Idaho backcountry elk and deer and been really impressed. That said, merino based pants will never stack up to nylon for durability in the long run, especially if you hunt thorny and/or course brush.

I also own 6 pair of Prana Stretch Zion pants. Love them for everyday use and hiking. I don't use them hunting only because they lack the pocket space I like.

The Sitka page info is freaking worthless:

It reminds me of trying to buy ski boots and all the descriptions talked about how you are going to be shredding the gnar rather than explaining the differences. Like WTF is burly?

How are these compared to the Ascent pants? I'm finding the Ascents are a little two warm when climbing, er "racking up the vertical." I'd really like some vents on the sides.

The Timberlines seem even warmer so unusable for bow season. Right? The Ascents seem warm enough at 0F with layering, so I'm not sure I need a warmer pant but maybe these pants have some advantages.

Haha. You make a good point, luckily their products are much better than their descriptions.

I have the ascents and the timberlines. Timberlines are much too warm for August/September (lows of 30, highs of 70ish). Ascents during September are $$$ paired with the KUIU zip off long johns, at least for me, I run pretty cold. The timberlines served me well down to zero with one or two pairs of long johns underneath.

If you get hot in ascents, I've read good things about the KUIU alpines or tiburons. Both have hip vents.

My attack pants are all pilled up and it hasn’t hurt a thing, they are 3 seasons old and will see a few more.

Steep pants. What firm? My pants are five years old, I chose them for a long time and wasn't mistaken, but now I'm looking for suitable ones.

Think about giving Sitka or Outdoor Research a try. I have yet to have any problems with them and they have gone to hell and back. From Colorado high country, to Montana breaks, to northern Minnesota swamps, and Wisconsin bluff country.

Think about giving Sitka or Outdoor Research a try. I have yet to have any problems with them and they have gone to hell and back. From Colorado high country, to Montana breaks, to northern Minnesota swamps, and Wisconsin bluff country.

good choice

I have a pair of Attack pants and put them through abuse last year. I didn't have a bit of trouble and blood washes right out of them. I also own 2 pair of FL Guide pants, a pair of North Branch FL, and the lighter pair that the Obsidian took the place of but can't remember the name. They all are great and each pair has its place. If I had to pick one all around pant it would be a close call between the KUIU Attack and FL Guide. If any of them wear out I will try Sitka for comparison.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back