Legal or Illegal

Hello everyone specifically people that are in the Denver area in Colorado. Just wondering if shooting a bow in my backyard is illegal in Colorado. Specifically Arvada, Colorado. Thank you guys.

I would call your local PD if you are worried, but to the best of my knowledge it's legal anywhere in the metro area. Typically there are city ordinances against firearm discharge but not bows. We looked into hunting within city limits with a bow a while back and what we were told is that you would have to have enough land to meet the setback rules for roads and/or dwellings or get the owner of such permission. I know lots of people who have targets set up in their backyards all over the city. I think if you are discrete and safe about it you won't have any problems.

it's legal, but be aware that won't stop a police visit if you have neighbors that don't approve. Also, if you are on a HOA, read the covenant that you skipped over when signing it.

Talk to the PD! I used to do it in Littleton but only when the neighbors weren't home, and I used a full sheet of 1" plywood as an extra-big backstop.

Some people drawback with the arrow at an upward incline so that if you slip before are on target with your aim then the arrow is going to miss the backstop. Word to the wise. Having an arrow launch to land beyond your yard is a foreseeable risk. You will be held liable for property damage and even manslaughter if that unfortunate outcome resulted.

Some city ordinances use "its illegal to discharge a deadly weapon" to cover most weapons

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back