South West Nebraska Mule Deer Help

JMelby

Hello all,
I'm planning a hunt to the Frenchman unit in Nebraska this November and have hit road block after road block with it. I'm needing some advice about hunting the public land around McCook. The person I was supposed to go with backed out yesterday so I'm out of their land to hunt. I haven't been able to get out that way yet to scout public land since I live around the Omaha area. Also, i cant afford to lease private land.

P.s. this is my first rifle deer hunt. So any tips or tricks pertaining to the WMAs around the McCook- Trenton area would be extremely helpful. Not looking for someone's honey hole.

Thanks again.

Get there early, walk to the hardest to reach places etc. Just try to work harder than the next guy. Might also try hunting all day, less pressure mid day.

plenty of deer every place I've been but if its anything like spring turkey have a good time with that lol I would look into some of the different options for public access besides the state wildlife areas.. there is a list of them on the website. might be able to break away some but I don't really know as I've never hunted rifle season good luck

Have hunted around McCook the last 6 years. Mule deer on public land is going to be a tough row to hoe. They're all over on private. Great whitetail hunting on public over there.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Wish me luck, I'll be heading out that way tomorrow morning and hopefully I will get lucky!

Hello all,
I'm planning a hunt to the Frenchman unit in Nebraska this November and have hit road block after road block with it. I'm needing some advice about hunting the public land around McCook. The person I was supposed to go with backed out yesterday so I'm out of their land to hunt. I haven't been able to get out that way yet to scout public land since I live around the Omaha area. Also, i cant afford to lease private land.

P.s. this is my first rifle deer hunt. So any tips or tricks pertaining to the WMAs around the McCook- Trenton area would be extremely helpful. Not looking for someone's honey hole.

Thanks again.

Any update on how things went?

20171111_102300.jpg

Well I had a blast. Got this guy opening morning at 0930. Couldn't have asked for a better first deer. Even though I'm 27, I still am thrilled with the opportunity to provide some fantastic meat for my family. Hoping to get out for late archery season to fill my doe tag yet this year, but even if I don't, I still have the trophy of a lifetime in my eyes.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back