Primers not Going into Brass??

Huntforadventure

Greetings Everyone,

I have saved some brass from Hornady ammunition "American Whitetail" chambered in .308. I am planning to use it to do some reloading. I had trouble getting Large Rifle Primers into the brass saved from fired "American Whitetail." It was extremely difficult to get the primer inserted into the brass and many ended up deformed. Is there a different primer used in that ammunition? I was using CCI Large rifle primer 200. Any thoughts or similar troubles? Thanks for the help.

Never had this problem. Did you clean the primer pocket? I know some cases have a primer crimp of some kind and they do make tools to remove this. I recently bought some of that same ammo in 7mm-08, but I haven't gotten around to reloading it yet.

I've never had a problem like that with any Hornady brass. (I'm pretty sure it's all the same brass, whether it's AW, Superformance, etc.) I have found that Norma pockets seem tighter though.

I would have thought it was all the same. With the Hornady Superformance, the primers go in much, much smoother. As well as with other brands, Federal, and Winchester.

I’m not familiar with Hornady’s American Whitetail line, but I have had the same problem you are describing with .223 brass. I did a quick search on the google and saw that others had the same issue with American Whitetail brass. From what I found Hornady is crimping the primers on all “military” style ammo (aka 223 and 308). So if you intend to reload that brass you will have to get a tool to open the pocket back up. I bought a Dillon Super Swage and it works beautifully. There are a lot of tool options available if you decide to reload the brass. You could also pitch the brass and get some that hasn’t been crimped and save some time.

I bet the primer pockets have been crimped. Often 223, 308, and 30-06 factory ammunition come with crimped primer pockets to ensure primers stay put while in the magazine and going into battery on semi auto rifles. Being 308 is a very common round to be fired in semi autos, I bet that is your issue. Take a couple pieces and gently remove some brass from the outside edge of the primer pockets with your chamfer tool. See if that helps out. There are actual tools to swage or trim the primer crimps out but this is a simple method to diagnose your issue.

I've had the same issue with 308 Superformance brass. Primers would not go in without destroying them. Tried to open a couple of the primer pockets up, but had a bunch of other brass around so I didn't put much effort into it.

Greetings Everyone,

I have saved some brass from Hornady ammunition "American Whitetail" chambered in .308. I am planning to use it to do some reloading. I had trouble getting Large Rifle Primers into the brass saved from fired "American Whitetail." It was extremely difficult to get the primer inserted into the brass and many ended up deformed. Is there a different primer used in that ammunition? I was using CCI Large rifle primer 200. Any thoughts or similar troubles? Thanks for the help.

Check the unprimed brace it is crimped you will either see a slight ring around the primer pocket. Or possibly a staking mark. I haven't figured out how to post pictures as I'm new here but you should be able to find examples with a quick search

I bet the primer pockets have been crimped. Often 223, 308, and 30-06 factory ammunition come with crimped primer pockets to ensure primers stay put while in the magazine and going into battery on semi auto rifles. Being 308 is a very common round to be fired in semi autos, I bet that is your issue. Take a couple pieces and gently remove some brass from the outside edge of the primer pockets with your chamfer tool. See if that helps out. There are actual tools to swage or trim the primer crimps out but this is a simple method to diagnose your issue.

This.

Primer pocket chamfer tool will fix it right up. I've had to do a chamfer on lots of used brass I pick up in 30-06, 308, and .556

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back