Archery Targets

Hello, I am looking for any cheap archery targets so I can practice with my bow. Any suggestions or how to DIY target to save money. Thanks

stuff a bunch of rags in a cardboard box and tape it shut. Make sure its packed completely full. As long as this doesn't get wet, it makes an excellent target.

Here is what I use for broadheads. Two sheets of 2" 250 density foam are about $50. The rest of the materials I had on hand.

For target points, I buy a bag target at my local farm store. With rebate they are typically $30.

Attachments

• BH Target.jpg
    BH Target.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 379
Instead of layers of foam, the Park County Gun Range uses layers of carpet. I like the way Barebow strapped them down.

stuff a bunch of rags in a cardboard box and tape it shut. Make sure its packed completely full. As long as this doesn't get wet, it makes an excellent target.

I'll second this. I used a box and and old comforter. It worked great for field tips and broadheads, but the broadheads could be a pain to pull out, lol. I'd mainly use it for field tip and then just enough broadhead shots to make sure they were hitting the same. Last year I also bought a cheap 3D target on clearance in the off season for more broadhead practice.

I've used grocery bags stuffed in a big burlap sack for filed points. Worked pretty good.

Also use flattened cardboard instead of High Density Foam in a setup similar to the on Z Barebow posted.

I built a 4' x 4' backstop similar to Z Barebow's, but uses it as an occasionally-needed backdrop to my smaller foam or bag targets at 40+ yards. Works fine for broadheads or field points...except the kinetic energy of the arrows apparently causes the foam to melt as the shaft drives into the foam as makes them somewhat difficult to remove (and leaves residue on the shaft). I have found I can minimize this with an anti-stick coating or more simply not to miss the fronting target.

Hello, I am looking for any cheap archery targets so I can practice with my bow. Any suggestions or how to DIY target to save money. Thanks

After watching a youtube video with Corey Jacobson building a homemade target I decided I would do the same. I bought all the stuff and had a hard time getting the time and Cabelas had a great sale on a target that I picked up for $50 (regularly $90). I think it cost me an extra $20 - $25 to buy a good one that will last longer. Looking over the black friday ad last night it looks like Cabelas will have a good target on sale next week. They might have one on sale now.

I made 2 of these out of materials I had laying around, or from work that were going to be tossed (I'm keeping one and selling the other). It works great except when you square up the board with an arrow. I have about 500 arrows into the first one, and just now had to repack some of the plastic bags on the inside. 20171228_091710.jpg20171228_091809.jpg

Jugs filled with spray foam insulation. Water, antifreeze, detergent, just about any kind will work. Throw them around the yard and shoot. It gives you targets about the size of a vital area and they will be at different, random, distances.

The best homemade one I have is pieces of high-density foam (the stuff used for mattresses) duct-taped together. I make it just thick enough to allow my broadheads to poke out the other side, so I can unscrew them and pull the arrow back out the front (instead of damaging the vanes by pulling them through the foam). It can take a hundred or so shots with broadheads before I need to re-tape or add a new layer of foam. It can take a lot more hits with field point.

Previously I tried old carpet, but the glue on the carpet melts from the friction and sticks to the shafts, plus carpet is lot heavier and I have to carry my target to the range (my backyard is too small).

We had Archery in the school for p.e. class and a local manufacturer would give us all their cardboard bales instead of sending them to the recycler for targets. However, we used the Matthews bows that do not have much power. Im not sure what would happen with a 70lb compound shooting 300 fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back