Caribou Gear Tarp

Found a Bighorn Winter Kill in Idaho

MooseCaboose

I was out this past weekend helping a couple of friends harvest some mule deer bucks. I was fortunate to find this unfortunate ram which seems to have not fared well during the severe conditions this past winter.

I got him plugged at F&G. The biologist confirmed he was five years old. Even at that relatively young age, he already had 32" curls and 14" bases. He was on his way to becoming a real stud, especially for that area.

A truly once in a lifetime find that will decorate my office for years to come.

22814111_10156876855154129_1767981413735710322_n.jpg

If you find a dead Bighorn, what do you have to do to keep it. Other than get it plugged by FWP? I would think you would want to photo the heck out of it and the area plus gps it.
Just curious,
John

Cool find. I found a smaller ram in NW MT a few years but did not take it (really wanted to though).
Can not take a bighorn from the field in Montana, correct? Pretty sure that is a big no-no in MT.
Kind of surprised any state allows the taking of a natural kill from the field.

Awesome find! Man that'd be sweet to have in the house, nice of them to let ya keep it!

Now am I totally making this up or not but did you recently post this to IG? I swear I just saw this image yesterday on my feed, I must have started randomly following you a while back lol

Nice find! Looks a lot more recent than a winter kill. Disease, predator, or injury was a more likely cause of death. This years horn growth looks very normal and healthy.

If you find a dead Bighorn, what do you have to do to keep it. Other than get it plugged by FWP? I would think you would want to photo the heck out of it and the area plus gps it.
Just curious,
John

In Idaho, I think we only have to get it pinned by Fish & Game. Once you take them into possession, it is illegal to sell the horns.

there is a rafting guide in Riggins,Id that has 21 dead head rams hes found over the years floating the rivers, plus a 403" bull he found dead

Cool find. Sad that people can’t be trusted, but easy to see why many states don’t allow you to pick it up. It’d be easy to shoot one and later claim you found a dead head.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back