Caribou Gear Tarp

Minimum Longbow

Muley_Stalker

Ok, guys. This has been bouncing around my head for awhile and I want to see what you guys think.

For those who didn't get my age in past posts, i'll turn 75 in Dec. So, i'm no youngster. I have pictures of me shooting a longbow when I was a kid. I could have gone in that direction, and kind of wish I had. I didn't and hunted most of my life with a Win 94 30-30 before turning to muzzleloaders in the 80's.

I've been fighting the urge to hunt with a longbow. That led me to an xbow, but decided I don't want to go that way no matter how much it's practical for me. My vision is crapola being blind in one eye and maybe 20-40 in the other. Also, due to other med problems i'm kind of weak.

Here's my thinking. If I learned to shoot true instintive I won't be looking at any sights, but just the target/game. Since a longbow is a close shot weapon it won't be that far either. Probably even closer for me, because I won't be able to pull a high weight bow.

Minimum lb bow in Colorado is 35lbs. Would that be enough for close shots on deer and maybe a smaller cow elk? It would get me away from the recoil of a gun and also the weight of carrying them in the mountains too. It would take away having to use sights which I can't see for beans anymore. I'm disaplined to the point of not taking chancy shots. I'm worried about becoming good enough shooting instinctively and if the bow I can pull will be enough for hunting. I'm willing to put in the work if I have a chance for success.

What do you guys think? Am I just dreaming or do I have a chance of making this work?

Thanks.

Saw this quote in the gym yesterday(see image).... Go for it! If you don't then down the road you'll be like man I wished I would have done that....

Learn to shoot a longbow and if you can hit a pie plate consistently then what's stopping you after an animal? Just take someone along with you to verify the hit if your eyes are that bad.

Get at it and start a thread of your learning progress!

Body achieves what the mind believes..jpg

What about the bow? Will 35lbs be enough or should I try to use more?

How about a bow? I was thinking about the Bear Montana.

Maybe not. I just looked at the Montana and for LH it starts at 45lbs. RH goes all the way down to 30lbs. What's with that? Do they think lefty's are stronger? I have long arms and my draw will probably be 29"-29 1/2". That would make the 45lb bow closer to a 50lb bow. That will be too much to start out with. I hope all LH bows don't start at higher weights.?

Last edited:
You can probably get by with 35 lbs for deer but I would personally want a little more weight for elk. For bows I would look real hard at a Samick Sage. It's cheap and you can replace the limbs as you build your strength up

The Samick Sage is a good idea. I'm thinking of starting with the 30lb limbs to develop some form and strength and then maybe move up to 40lb limbs when i'm ready. 3Rivers has a package deal that comes with all I need to get started except a target. I can add that.

It's a recurve and not a longbow like what I wanted, but it will get me started and I can swich down the road, or maybe i'll just stay with a recurve. As long as it's traditional i'm ok with it.

Thanks for the ideas.

I mentioned elk, because it's so much easier to get an arcery cow elk tag than a deer tag. I can hunt elk every year with no points. I can't do that with deer. It seems all bow hunters want to hunt for deer. It works for me though. I love elk meat and i'm not fond of mule deer meat at all.

I don't have elk hunting experience, but would guess that if the min poundage allowed is 35, that should suffice. It's sharp broad heads that do the deed... You should be able to find used traditional bows pretty easily. Start with 35#- if it works out for you, you'll increase your poundage later on. I'm a little younger than you- started with a 35# samick longbow, now have a 55# (5 years later) and am now thinking I want a mid-sixties bow as well. Take-down bows allow you to try different limb weights without buying a new bow each time- but they do cost more. I've had trad bows "find me" as many don't want to bother learning how to shoot them "this late in their life" and people have been kind to gift me bows because they had discovered that I'm one of "those guys that shoot one of those bows". ;)

My 1st archery kill was with a 35# fiberglass semi-recurve. So, I know for a fact that poundage will take a deer. Since then I've dumb lucked my way along to take a few more with a bow in the 50-55# range. (adjustable compound)

But in reality, when dealing in archery it's not truly centered around the bow's poundage, but more so in the momentum created with the set-up. Mass x Velocity. You state that you're not going to be shooting any extended range, so go heavy on the arrow. Practice will get you to know where to aim.

Go with a wide-ish 2 blade broadhead and make d@mn sure they are surgically sharp. Might try doing a U-Tube search for Ted Nudgent's adventures with the bow.

Good Luck, GO FOR IT ! and then invite me over for some grilled backstrap/peppers/onions over wild rice for my most outstanding advice! ;)

Last edited:
I shoot a 48-50 lb longbow . It is more than adequate for elk and moose. I would lean towards a nice custom longbow built just for your length of pull . They are pricey but newer technology makes a carbon laminated bow very easy to pull and very efficient with stored energy. My 50 bow pulls much smoother and easier than an older ,lighter weight longbow I have by the same bowyer.
Good 2 blade, cut on contact broadheads work great in recurves and longbows. I shoot Zwickies in mine.

Starting with a nice mass produced bow like the Samic is a good idea then, when you are hooked on the longbow maybe look into a custom bow. They can be night and day in the way they shoot compared to an off the shelf bow. Try to find a bow shop that carries trad bows and go shoot some. A good used bow is not hard to find either but be careful in examining it for cracks and split limbs.
Rocky Mountain Specialty Sports in Denver is a good shop. Perhaps there is a decent bow shop in your area that has some new and used trad bows. Most bowyers will also have some shootable bows in their shop for potential customers to try out. Seek out a local bowyer and see what they offer.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will add that if I don't feel ready next year come hunting seasons I have my sidelock muzzleloader as a backup. At least i'll stay traditional.

I'm also hunting elk with a 100% Lakota Indian. He makes his own bow and arrows. How traditional can you get huh? I'm hoping at some point he'll offer to make me a bow. I think I have to prove myself with a bow first. He's a tough old guy. Bravery above all else is everything to him. Never ever show any weakness or he's lost as a friend.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back